Soy GW464

I just started making candles, and I'm going by the book with this soy 464. I use 1 oz of FO per lb. I'm heating to 180, and adding in the FO and mixing, pouring at 135. I have found that the candles literally are not smelling when burning, at all. When they cool, it's cooling uneven with little bitty holes all in the top. However, I can put it on a candle warmer, and it can smell up an open room very well, and when it cools, it cools evenly on the top. What am I doing wrong here? This is with 8oz tin containers. However, when I poured into a glass jar, it frosts on the sides.

I also found on Southwest Candle supply, some coconut oil and some beeswax. I  just ordered it and haven't received it yet, but one is supposed to help soy candles have a stronger hot scent throw, and the other is supposed to help it look creamy/smooth finish.  Any ideas?

Welcome to soy wax. Appearances of frosting and bubbles come with the beast. 

if it smells in the pour pot and on a melter you will need to experiment with different wicks to tease out hot throw. 

additives can alleviate your problems as well as make them much worse or create new problems. Test and take notes. Chandling is a marathon not a sprint. Enjoy the journey ❤️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

Welcome to soy wax. Appearances of frosting and bubbles come with the beast. 

if it smells in the pour pot and on a melter you will need to experiment with different wicks to tease out hot throw. 

additives can alleviate your problems as well as make them much worse or create new problems. Test and take notes. Chandling is a marathon not a sprint. Enjoy the journey ❤️

Thanks, so I take it thats pretty much how it looks after burning soy with a wick? I bought a kit and its the wicks they recommended to go with it. ECO 14.

Pretty much all pure soy candles will cool strangely.  Many retail available blends contain additives to try to satisfy aesthetic issues their customers feel is important. Every additive has the potential to cause other issues. 

every test and lesson learned is another credit toward your eventual candle science degree 🤗