Wick Length

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader of the forum first post here. Thanks to those who have provided so much knowledge over the years!

My question is regarding cotton wicks.

Generally it is common knowledge to trim your wick to 1/4" inch.

So why is it that when I see candles in retail stores the wick is sometime very long (well over 1/4")?

Is there a specific reason for this?

I have been trimming my wicks to 1/4" before selling and am wondering if that may be a mistake?

It may be partly due to the wick itself.  Self trimming wicks kind of do the job for you. I tested once leaving a *properly wicked* self trimming wick a couple of inches long on the first light and it burned perfectly.  

TallTayl is correct. 

I purchased a candle that was 100% soy.  When I first opened the lid prior to burning, the wick was very long and curled up due to them placing the lid on without trimming, I believe they may use wick spools.  Anyhow, they have instructions on the bottom that say to trim to 1/4" before lighting.  I thought it was clever that they take out the extra work for themselves of not going back after pouring to trim each one.  However, some customers may not even ever know there is instructions at the bottom and just lights it as is.  I wonder how that would burn 🤨