Hot Throw HELP!

samiam

Hi There and Happy New Year!

I have been trying VERY unsuccessfully to create candles that have as much great scent as the ones I typically buy in the stores (Paddywax, Figeur are my favorites). When I burn one of them in a typical sized bedroom it fills the entire room with scent. 

I have followed what I believe are the exact instructions on how to do it and yet it does not smell more than a few feet from the candle itself. Here is what I am doing:

-- I am using Soy Wax purchased from Candlescience (I am sorry but the wax was purchased a few years ago so I don't remember the exact name)

-- I use the Chandler & Me candle maker to heat the wax and tell me when to put in the fragrance oil

-- I have been using the Orange Blossom fragrance oil from CandleScience with a ratio of 1LB of wax to 0.5 ounces of fragrance (I also tried 1 ounce). I have tried other fragrance oils as well (that work great in my sugar scrub so I doubt its a problem with scents).

-- I put it into a pretty standard glass container with a diameter of about 3.5 to 4 inches.

-- I was using the Eco 8 6" pretabbed wick

I would really appreciate any and all advice because it is really frustrating me! Thank you.

typical FO in candles using standard retail fragrance is usually closer to 6%, or 1 oz fragrance per lb of oils.

Not all scents are compatible with all waxes. Likewise, you may need to shift wicks to find the one that produces enough heat versus rate of consumption for your given wax and fragrance.

That size container will always be challenging. the magic dimensions for easy early candle "wins" I've found to be more like 2.5" wide and taller than wide (like a straight sided jar).

22 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

typical FO in candles using standard retail fragrance is usually closer to 6%, or 1 oz fragrance per lb of oils.

Not all scents are compatible with all waxes. Likewise, you may need to shift wicks to find the one that produces enough heat versus rate of consumption for your given wax and fragrance.

That size container will always be challenging. the magic dimensions for easy early candle "wins" I've found to be more like 2.5" wide and taller than wide (like a straight sided jar).

Thank you TallTayl!

On 1/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, samiam said:

- I am using Soy Wax purchased from Candlescience (I am sorry but the wax was purchased a few years ago so I don't remember the exact name)

-- I use the Chandler & Me candle maker to heat the wax and tell me when to put in the fragrance oil

-- I have been using the Orange Blossom fragrance oil from CandleScience with a ratio of 1LB of wax to 0.5 ounces of fragrance (I also tried 1 ounce). I have tried other fragrance oils as well (that work great in my sugar scrub so I doubt its a problem with scents).

-- I put it into a pretty standard glass container with a diameter of about 3.5 to 4 inches.

-- I was using the Eco 8 6" pretabbed wick

I'll help you jump start your progress. I have customers that LOVE CS's orange blossom scent, so I've worked with it before. 

Wax, like everything, has an expiration date. "A few years ago" stored perfectly might be fine. But, would be worth buying a new bag of wax vs. wasting fragrance oil (which are much more expensive) on an old batch of wax. Your fragrance oil selection is strong--you should be able to smell it if you're doing it right. Boost it back up to 1oz/per pound... and that's one ounce by weight NOT volume. Everything in candle making is done by weight. Your wick is also too small. I don't use ECOs too much anymore, but I'd say try a 12 or 14. Ultimately your hot throw comes from the melt pool... so, it follows if you don't have a large enough melt pool, then you won't have scent throw. But, you also don't want to over do it. Gotta find the right balance.

Good luck!