Need help with bulk candle making please...

I was interested in getting feedback on the best way to make candles in bulk (100-1000 units per batch).  I have a few questions, any feedback and advice would be appreciated.

-  Was thinking of starting with this melter... 65 Pound Stainless Steel Wax Melter from Candle Science:  Ritehete makes a dispensing attachment that seems much more efficient than pouring from a pitcher, is there a better way to go?

- What is the most efficient way to mix the fragrance with the wax in the melter?  Does it have to be done with a hand tool or can you use a electric hand mixer so it's no so labor intensive?

- If we wanted to use the "3 Wick Tumbler" similar to the one from Candle Science, where is the best place to buy jars and lids?  What is the most efficient way of placing the wick in that size jar as they don't make a wick setter for that size jar?

Any other tips for purchasing bulk wax and fragrances would be helpful.  Also, any tips to scale a candle business would be great.

Thanks!

100 per batch and 1,000 per batch are totally different category.

Ritehete 65lb melter will handle 100 per batch with maximum capacity of 400 units per day(8 hours).  This is due to time that required to melt wax.  If you attach dispensing system & gun, that will save you tons of time & labor.($2,000 to $3,000)  They also have what they call mixers, blenders & agitators for blending FO, which cost in $1,000 to $1,500 range.  Total system is going to cost around $5,000 including shipping.

Now, in order to do 1,000 per batch, you will need much bigger system.  Check "Waxmelters".  https://www.waxmelters.com/default.asp

You are looking at $60,000 price range for that kind of system.

I am in the process of making wick setter for 3.75" tin which can be made easily from parts available from any hardware store and things laying around the house.  Total cost would not exceed $10.  I will post picture when I am done possibly within 2 weeks.  Some companies manufacture automated wick setter machines, but those machines are for more than 10,000 per months candle makers.

For bulk wax, look for wax blending company closest to where you are.  Wax manufacturers & blenders all require 1 pallet minimum order, which is about 35 cases of 50 lb per case.  Saving on cost of shipping is where you main profits are.  

For fragrance oil, you are going to need lots of research.  Quality, available scents, price, & shipping cost are the things that you need to put into consideration choosing right FO supplier.

For container, I don't see that much price difference from the big wholesale vs candle suppliers unless you buy cheap ones from China, which I would not recommend to use as candle container.  Get them from where you can save most on shipping cost.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BusyBee said:

100 per batch and 1,000 per batch are totally different category.

Ritehete 65lb melter will handle 100 per batch with maximum capacity of 400 units per day(8 hours).  This is due to time that required to melt wax.  If you attach dispensing system & gun, that will save you tons of time & labor.($2,000 to $3,000)  They also have what they call mixers, blenders & agitators for blending FO, which cost in $1,000 to $1,500 range.  Total system is going to cost around $5,000 including shipping.

Now, in order to do 1,000 per batch, you will need much bigger system.  Check "Waxmelters".  https://www.waxmelters.com/default.asp

You are looking at $60,000 price range for that kind of system.

I am in the process of making wick setter for 3.75" tin which can be made easily from parts available from any hardware store and things laying around the house.  Total cost would not exceed $10.  I will post picture when I am done possibly within 2 weeks.  Some companies manufacture automated wick setter machines, but those machines are for more than 10,000 per months candle makers.

For bulk wax, look for wax blending company closest to where you are.  Wax manufacturers & blenders all require 1 pallet minimum order, which is about 35 cases of 50 lb per case.  Saving on cost of shipping is where you main profits are.  

For fragrance oil, you are going to need lots of research.  Quality, available scents, price, & shipping cost are the things that you need to put into consideration choosing right FO supplier.

For container, I don't see that much price difference from the big wholesale vs candle suppliers unless you buy cheap ones from China, which I would not recommend to use as candle container.  Get them from where you can save most on shipping cost.

That’s great information, thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

Im located in South Florida so if anyone knows of any reliable suppliers please don’t hesitate to recommend. 

Check the suppliers by state section to find wax and fo nearby.  Sometimes even 1-2 states away will be much cheaper on shipping.  Candlewic has a freight included option on 50# cases of waxes they carry but all depends on what wax you are using.

• Thanks 1

I am on west coast, so I am not familiar with any of suppliers in Florida region except for wicks.  We have many chandlers in this forum, who are in Florida, so they might be able to share good suppliers in your area.  Or you can check out the "Suppliers by State" in this website like kandlekrazy had suggested.

For Fragrance Oils, you might want to consider looking at 

AFI [Aromatic Fragrances International] in Cartersville, GA   https://afi-usa.com/fragrances/

Bulk Apothecary in Streetsboro, OH    https://www.bulkapothecary.com/

I haven't deal with them yet, but I find that they have a good pricing on bulk orders.

• Thanks 1