Problend 400 vs 4630

2 minutes ago, calan said:

These seem to be very similar on paper. Anybody have any experience with Flaming's Problend 450, specifically compared to 4630?

Did you mean PB 400? Because the 450 is a pillar wax.

If so, here's what I can tell you.  The PB 400 is a beautiful wax.  Pours like a dream.  Good adhesion.  Takes color well.  Is easy as heck to wick.  I thought I had struck gold when they first offered it.  BUT it is picky as hell with FO's.  Some will throw, too many will not.  Unless you are prepared to have a whole lot of duds, stick with 4630.  

10 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Did you mean PB 400? Because the 450 is a pillar wax.

If so, here's what I can tell you.  The PB 400 is a beautiful wax.  Pours like a dream.  Good adhesion.  Takes color well.  Is easy as heck to wick.  I thought I had struck gold when they first offered it.  BUT it is picky as hell with FO's.  Some will throw, too many will not.  Unless you are prepared to have a whole lot of duds, stick with 4630.  

Well... bummer.  :)

I definitely want good (great?) HT. I've been experimenting with 4630, and looking for other alternatives with the same throw but less sinkholes, less sooting, better adhesion, etc etc.

Edited by calan

9 minutes ago, calan said:

Well... bummer.  :)

I definitely want good (great?) HT. I've been experimenting with 4630, and looking for other alternatives with the same throw but less sinkholes, less sooting, better adhesion, etc etc.

The only place the 400 excels is in the adhesion and lack of sink holes.  It really does look good in the jar, but it's every bit as sooty as 4630, and the throw just isn't there.  When it does throw, it can throw well, but I had way too many duds using proven FO's.  Just too finicky.  Reminds me of soy in that regard.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, calan said:

What is your opinion on the PB 600 parasoy blend (if you've tried it)?

I made up some test candles but haven't burned them yet. It sure does make some pretty one-pour candles though. 

I burned a bunch of the PB 600, was a nice smooth wax but the HT wasn't there for me. I do like their 650 for melts though, I just hate the long cure time.