Votive question

Hi-

I am new to candle making but am becoming a total addict! I made votives with EZ soy and stearic acid. After burning the first candle, I thought I could use a bigger wick so I melted down all the votives I had made and repoured using a bigger wick. All the wicks just pulled right out when I tried to remove the votives from the molds. EEK! What did I do? :embarasse

Like I said, I am very new to this so I appreciate your input on where I went wrong.

Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is switch waxes and get a pillar/votive blend as EZ soy is a container wax, which means its soft and with a low melt point. Its not made for free standing candles - pillars or votives. I know the stearic will harden it up a bit, but I would use the right wax for the right job.

After that I would suggest using wick pins and insert the wicks after the votives are made.

HTH

Welcome to the board Elaine,

I agree with Henry and would change to a wax that is designed for pillars and votives and use molds with wick pins - much easier that way. KY has a really nice pillar/votive wax that you might lik. I would sugggest buying a small bag and giving it a try. ;):)

Hi Elaine! You can use this wax for votives if you still want to. Txsouix here on candletech gave me great advice for what worked for her with the votives, and its worked great for me too! 1 tsp palm stearic and 1 tsp UA pp of soy wax. Add fo at 175-180, stir a good 3 minutes so mixed well. Also, it works best to use dixie cups as a mold, she used 3 oz sized cups and i do too when i make them that way. Because then you can just tear away the mold and you dont have to worry about getting it out of a metal mold, and it makes a bigger votive! Also, I know there are a smaller size dixie cups so if you want it smaller, i think there are 2 oz size cups. Anyway it works perfectly that way. She was alot of help to me with it! Hope that helps some! :smiley2: oh, also editing to add....if you decide on the ky votive pillar wax, that is still a really great wax too! I use that also, and its wonderful!

Thank you Laura! All the suggestions are fabulous and I will give the dixie cups a try too.

Making candles is breathing new life into a very long New England winter; I just love it.

Thank you all for helping out a newbie!