The best method for testing HT?

I am going to test lowering my FO to 6 or 8% (from 10-12%). When you test a new fragrance what method do you use (size room, amount of burn time etc)? Do you evaluate the burn under ideal circumstances or anticipated circumstances (because those will hardly ever be the same 😁). The space I work in is quite large so it seems like it could be too big for an 11 oz candle, especially when you are evaluating reductions in HT. My goal is to be as detailed as possible so I can gather plenty of data.

For what it's worth, I use 464 with a small amount of coco83, 3" diameter as jars and wood wicks (booster 0.04 and 1/2").

Thanks

My best method honestly is to give the candle to a friend or neighbor and let them tell me, because in actuality, they are the customer that will use it how they see fit whether it be a small room or large room. Candle nose is real, so if you make a lot, it gets kinda tough to tell if you are making a good product. I always give them away and tell them to let me know how strong it is, and how the wick performs, how the melt pool is etc. Too me this is the best way but I only speak for myself. Hope this helps and you find out you have been making incredible candles all along. :D

• Like 1

I test in an average size room.  After it's been burning for about half an hour (so that I have a decent melt pool started), I leave the house for a few minutes.  Walk back in, and note how far away I was from the candle when I first caught a whiff of the HT.  6 feet away, 8 feet away, etc.  Then I have my spouse do the same.  :)  If I'm not getting much HT, I try a bit more cure time and/or test-burning in a small room (10x10).  

• Like 1