Do "odor eliminators" actually eliminate anything?

Darbla

Or do they just throw additional scent up in the air to try overpowering what's already there?  I bought a couple of spray ones (not candles with a burning wick) today mostly because the scents were interesting and I wanted them for research & reference.

I now have Flaming's Citrus odor elim and I'm not sure it does anything more than any fo.  I do like the scent though.  I used to buy one that actually worked,  but I can't remember where I got it. Believe it was called odor neutralizer, it was a fresh clean scent not heavy floral or citrus.  I used it in musty cabinets in our store and it took the smell away completely.

Hmmmmmm, I hope you remember what that item was!  I may do some googling for "neutralizers" and see what I find.

If anyone's curious, this is what I bought:  https://abbeysullivan.com/products/awake-odor-eliminator-spray

I got "Enlightened" (rose, patchouli, frankincense) and "Romantic" (jasmine, rose, orange).  They do say on the backs of the bottles "Contains patented deodorizing ingredients to instantly remove unpleasant odors".  It doesn't give any more detail than that in the ingredients.  I mostly wanted them to remember those scent combo ideas, and they really do smell nice.