What am I doing wrong?

I am new to candle making.  After reading articles on the ins and outs of candle making I made my first candle.  when the candle hardened I saw that it had pulled away from the sides.

My second attempt at a candle lead to it slightly sinking in the middle near the wick.  I had not checked the temperature of the wax upon pouring so I assumed that was the reason.  

The third Candle attempt I made sure the wax was at the correct temperature still the candle sank slightly in the middle.  

What is causing my candles to either sink or pull away from the sides?  

Welcome. Wax shrinks as it hardens. It tends to harden on the outside and as the wax on the inside shrinks it pulls the wax toward the center. For better advice the experts on the board will want to know what wax and container you are using and what temperature you are pouring at. I had a similar problem the last time I poured candles and on my next run I’m going to warm my jars, lower my pour temp, and slow down the cooling by either putting the candles together in a box as they cool, or wrapping the containers in something to slow their cooling.

• Like 2