Swapping Wicks

Having trouble finding a good wick that burns properly in a new wax blend.  I recently poured some test candles but I wicked up when I think I should have wicked down.  I saw a post where someone mentioned swapping the wicks out.  Is this possible?  I have 2 or 3 candles that I have not even started burning.  Any one have any tips on this? @kandlekrazy is the one who suggested this in an older post.

Pouring a candle without a tabbed wick is often very useful. The shorter the jar the harder it is to test since the wick without a tab falls over easily. 

Poke a hole when the candle cools, carefully stuff the wick into the hole and off you go. If it’s the wrong size cool the candle, swap the wick, level the top and go again. 

Sometimes a pair of needle nose pliers can grip just enough to yank those already in the finished candle. Then you have a hole to poke the new wick into for testing. 

For the next round of testers, pour without a wick. Poke a hole with a thin skewer or something similar.  Cut the wick from the tab and insert the tester wick. 

• Like 2

Sorry, I've been moving and offline.  I don't use Tabbed wicks when testing new jars or new fo's.  I use wick centering tools and bend the wick to keep it in place.  Sometimes they will pull out with pliers as TT said it all depends on the softness of your wax and how crimped that wick is in the tab.

8 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Sorry, I've been moving and offline.  I don't use Tabbed wicks when testing new jars or new fo's.  I use wick centering tools and bend the wick to keep it in place.  Sometimes they will pull out with pliers as TT said it all depends on the softness of your wax and how crimped that wick is in the tab.

Thanks @kandlekrazy! I do not think I have the skills to use an untabbed wick just yet.  I actually poured new candles and wicked down 2 different sizes, I decided I am going to test the wicked up candles and wicked down candles at the same time and see what happens.  We shall see.  

Another suggestion is they have stainless cake testers that are about 6" long and just about the diameter of round wicks, I've used those on an unwicked set candle and then put the wick in.  Or find anything you can make a hole with after the candle sets, wood skewers work but I always have to heat gun after pushing wick in because they are a bit large