Weird question but...

Ok so, might sound strange... but when I make testers for a certain scent, wax, wick combo.. I make at least three different tins or Mason jar testers. I’ve been having a heck of a time trying to get the left over wax out of them when they’re burned down so that I can reuse them as testers again. I’ve tried filling them with boiling water as Ive heard that can work and I’ve tried just scrubbing them with soap and water- but it just leaves an annoying waxy film all over them that I can’t get completely out. Am I missing something? Haha. How do you clean out your testers??

Here's what I do.....put the jars/tins on an old cookie sheet, heat them in the oven on the warm setting, pour out the wax, wipe the inside of the jar with a paper towel, then wash with Dawn dish soap & hot water.  Easy peasy.   (I save the left over wax in a coffee can and use it to make firestarters.)

• Thanks 1

For tins I chunk out the left over wax, heat gun and wipe with paper towels. 

Glass, heat inverted on paper towel lined cookie sheet, wipe out with paper towels. 

If the wick tabs wont stick for any odd reason a quick wipe with a paper towel wet with alcohol usually does the trick. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the tips! One more question to go along with this subject... how many times do you feel you can reuse glass mason jars before it may break? I’m using canning mason jars (half pint and pint) from Walmart along with my little tins and I’ve heard/read that after awhile of lighting candles in them they get weak....? 😕

That's probably why you're having a tough time cleaning out the jars...For soy, i just use the double boiler to melt residual wax..pour it into a container then fill the jar with hot water and dish detergent. Wash it out, and it comes out as good as new.  Paraffin, I do it the same way, but always am left with a greasy film on the container.. 

• Thanks 1

Well the ones I was cleaning when I’d wrote this thread were in fact a soy wax, haha. My apologies. I just switched waxes so I was asking about how I’d go about cleaning any, really, that way I’d know. The soy I was using had still had left that waxy residue so I figure I’ll just hit them all with my heat gun and follow all the rest of your guys tips. Thank you for your help!