New Burn Test

This is my latest burn test for the 11oz tureens with 6006 and no FO. These tureens usually hold about 9oz of wax, but for this test I used about 6oz. I let them cure a week before burning. These picture are from the first day’s burn at 3 hours. I took front view pictures at hours 1, 2, and 3, and top view pictures at hours 1, 2, 3, and 4. For day 2 I only top views for 3 hours. Tonight I have two goals, the first is to devise a way to make sure my wicks are centered and the second is to pour two more candles with HTP 52, and ECO 2 wicks. Any observations that you experienced candle makers could offer would be greatly appreciated. General speaking I thought all of these were a little over wicked.  

FW1_6519.thumb.JPG.c8b48d20427c92ac5836fdc1212f34a4.JPGFW1_6520.thumb.JPG.e34e90cd2c92eb51e0e8495c17c2373d.JPGFW1_6522.thumb.JPG.d7228ce7da3bae9a907832f3e54aff7a.JPGFW1_6524.thumb.JPG.f1d501ecd30b111907feb909eb14ebed.JPGFW1_6525.thumb.JPG.7964202ae03d0fab14454dc3f1414616.JPGFW1_6526.thumb.JPG.c9edc464d934a62612e5acfd923909ba.JPG

It looks as though the small zinc wicks are burning cooler.  How is the scent throw on that one?  I'm thinking two HTP's in a smaller size, like the next size down or so, may give similar results as the zincs you're using, without the need for the rigid core since it's a shallow candle, and may burn nicer than the zinc.  But, I think the size of the zinc is doing well. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

It looks as though the small zinc wicks are burning cooler.  How is the scent throw on that one?  I'm thinking two HTP's in a smaller size, like the next size down or so, may give similar results as the zincs you're using, without the need for the rigid core since it's a shallow candle, and may burn nicer than the zinc.  But, I think the size of the zinc is doing well. 

I didn't add any FO this time, I want to get comfortable with my wicks first then I'll see what FO does to them. I have an HTP 52 I'm going to try next and I'm going to try an ECO 2 also. I'm going to get some CD wicks to try. I'm starting to think that the zincs have some heat transfer through the metal core that is making the melt pool too deep for this use. None of my flames were too large, or too small, but these jars create some funky air currents and it always looks like the wind is blowing them.