Copyright infringement

Barefootgirl

Does it bother you that some very established indie wax melt makers use copyrighted images just taken off the internet for their scent labeling? I've seen numerous Disney images, images of popular tv shows and the characters on the shows plus even brand logos used. Now it's not my place I know to assume they aren't granted permission to use such said copyrighted images but come on let's just face it we know most likely they aren't. I've yet to hear of any small business obtaining the right to use any Disney character for personal marketing purposes on their products they sell. I see this happening on a majority of theme wax melt sampler sets. This is not only illegal it's morally wrong too just the same imo. Just a pondering thought and mild vent here. It's honestly partly what makes a few of the popular followed vendors in my opinion. I do think they turn out good product outside of the questionable labeling / marketing from feedback I've read and watched. But, still idk it just bothers me. I sit and think people have to be aware the internet isn't a free playground to snatch images to use for their own personal benefit right?!

Edited by Barefootgirl

Yes, I think it goes hand in hand with people making false claims about their product and mislabeling. 

Using copyright images will draw people in and away from other vendors. 

Saying their cotton candy wax melts are made with 100% therapeutic grade essential oils can draw people to their product.

Labeling a candle by the size of the jar instead of by the amount of wax will lead people to believe that product is a better deal.

As far as using Disney and other copyright material, as well as trademark candle names, will eventually catch up with them when they get a c&d letter. Then they will have to rebrand overnight. 

What I always wonder is...do they know what they are doing is illegal?  Even the other examples....do they know the difference between essential and fragrance oils....do they know you are supposed to label the candle with the ounces of product?

Which is scarier....they don't know or don't care?

• Like 1

Personally, I don't worry about what other people are doing. I am a big believer in Karma, and if they don't have the right legalities in place, it WILL catch up to them soon enough. Especially with Disney stuff. Disney don't play and I've seen many people not only get C&D stuff, but their booths actually torn down in the middle of big shows because of licensing violations. 

I worry about myself, make sure I have all my ducks in a row so to speak, and make sure that *I* am doing everything right, and continue on with my day. I've been in this business a LONG time, and people who don't follow the rules (laws) generally don't stay in business very long. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Personally, I don't worry about what other people are doing. I am a big believer in Karma, and if they don't have the right legalities in place, it WILL catch up to them soon enough. Especially with Disney stuff. Disney don't play and I've seen many people not only get C&D stuff, but their booths actually torn down in the middle of big shows because of licensing violations. 

I worry about myself, make sure I have all my ducks in a row so to speak, and make sure that *I* am doing everything right, and continue on with my day. I've been in this business a LONG time, and people who don't follow the rules (laws) generally don't stay in business very long. 

Wow, how embarrassing to have your booth torn down if front of everyone! Ouch!

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

This. 100% this. I mean I think the some governmental organization is the devil personified that doesn't mean they can't mess up my Sunshine completely if I break the laws, so I don't.