CD vs HTP vs CDN wicks

I'm switching from my soy/coconut blend to a mix of soy/coconut and paraffin.

My HTP wicks stopped to work as perfect as before when I switched the blend a bit .. I'm now stuck with needing something in between HTP 72 and 73.

I've seen that CD and HTP are supposed to be 'sort of' the same type of wick? This is a comparison chart between them, even though it's really old

HTP-31, CD-4

HTP-41, CD-5

HTP-52, CD-6

HTP-62, CD-7

HTP-73, CD-8

HTP-83, CD-10

HTP-93, CD-12

HTP-104, CD-14

HTP-105, CD-16

HTP-126, CD-18

HTP-1212, CD-20

HTP-1313, CD-22

I'm thinking maybe to test the CD7 and CD8, but are they the same or could I strike a lucky one and get it right in between 72 and 73. CDN seems to be harder to get hold of but might work better in vegetable waxes, I'm playing with 20% to 30% of paraffin in the blend to fix the soy problems we have right now with the soy waxes.

Have anyone tested CD vs HTP vs CDN to see if they do the same thing but gives more options? I really like how the HTP performs, it seems to work well all around for me.

Both manufacturers have completely different charts which don't add up at all, but they might do completely different tests and use different waxes.

CDN is basically the same wick as CD the difference being the coating on the wick to make it more suitable for burning in vegetable soy waxes 

in straight soy I have found CDN to burn a bit cooler in my application

if I test a CD10 and a CD12 and the 10 isn't quite enough leaving Hangup on the jar and the 12 burns too hot for my liking usually the CDN12 is always a winner 

I used HTP a long time ago and they are similar to CD AND CDN but seem to lean and curl more burning more off center and I had issues with either way too hot or not hot enough so I made the switch to Cd having CDN as my "in between"

all bets are off now though with testing a new soy and I'm trying them all again

with 30-% paraffin you may like HTP better as I found cd really let off a lot of soot in a paraffin blend, the CDN is better but that could be just the blend - is the 73 too hot or what is going on with it?

try a CDN 8 and 10 in comparison to a HTP 73- I get mine at southwest candle supply as they have more sizes than candle cocoon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

CDN is basically the same wick as CD the difference being the coating on the wick to make it more suitable for burning in vegetable soy waxes 

in straight soy I have found CDN to burn a bit cooler in my application

if I test a CD10 and a CD12 and the 10 isn't quite enough leaving Hangup on the jar and the 12 burns too hot for my liking usually the CDN12 is always a winner 

I used HTP a long time ago and they are similar to CD AND CDN but seem to lean and curl more burning more off center and I had issues with either way too hot or not hot enough so I made the switch to Cd having CDN as my "in between"

all bets are off now though with testing a new soy and I'm trying them all again

with 30-% paraffin you may like HTP better as I found cd really let off a lot of soot in a paraffin blend, the CDN is better but that could be just the blend - is the 73 too hot or what is going on with it?

try a CDN 8 and 10 in comparison to a HTP 73- I get mine at southwest candle supply as they have more sizes than candle cocoon 

With 25% paraffin, the 73 is great the first 6-7 hours of the candle. Then the flame starts to dance and gets pretty high with a bit less HT, could still do with it but it's not optimal as before. FO load was 12% before and I lowered it to 10% with the paraffin.

It's the 8oz jam jar so the diam of the candle gets smaller as it's burning down.

Southwest candle supply doesn't have any CDN's under 10. Candle Cocoon has CDN 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 22 but is missing 5 in the series.

I'm thinking to try CD 7, 8 and 10?

Would you say CDN 8 and 10 to try for HTP 72 & 73? I found this chart but there it looks more like CDN 5, 6 and 7 (even though I can't buy CDN 5 here in the states) but it might be off?

5a676a8b6ba9c_HTPvsCDNChart.thumb.png.957fda3e7e8087e6eac3a439f45615db.png

Next step could be to lower the paraffin to 20% if that would help and up the FO to 11%?

Sorry for all the questions, but do you think there will be a continuous supply of CDN wicks? Has it been easy for you to find them all these years you have been using them?

I'm currently testing right now the HTP 72 with 30% paraffin.

It won't let me watch the video

Your FO load is very high especially with paraffin added and that could be causing you troubles with the burn - have you tried more like 8%?

I know it's seems weird logically but sometimes less is more with candle throw 

I would try exactly what your doing now with a 8% FO load and see if your burn improves and throw stays consistent at the end 

I just went to southwest candle supply and I see the CDN10 listed but not the 8...

I know they used to carry them 🤔

As far as the chart there will be variables depending on the wax used but my experiences In my wax- all soy I would say the CDN12 burns like the HTP 104 

the CDN8 burns like a HTP 83 and the  CDN10 like the 93 

now granted soy is harder to burn and Generally needs a bigger wick than paraffin so if your using a blend of paraffin and coconut which are easier to wick and soy mixed in there maybe start with a CDN8 in your jar as a starting point to see but again, I really feel you should try lowering your FO load 

I have not had an issue ever getting CDN wicks from southwest candle supply but I don't use a ton of them either - they are my in between wicks with CD

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Ok, let's try another link instead :)

The original FO load for this scent blend was 13% in soy/coconut (it's a bit softer but very nice). The HTP 73 burns through the whole candle with a good flame and a good hot throw. Cold throw was perfect (commercial/industry standard).

Taking it down to 10% with 25% paraffin compromised the cold throw but improved the hot throw (due to the paraffin). I could always try 8% but I'm afraid it will weaken the cold throw :(.

You mentioned that I could try CDN8 and it burns like HTP 83? Is that correct? I'm getting too hot with HTP 73 and I would certainly get crazy hot with HTP 83? Shouldn't I get lower in numbers with the CDN's? Then try CD 7, 8 and 10?

The CDN 8 is the smallest I have ordered and used 

maybe get the 4 and 6 at candle cocoon, make testers with a 6 and 8 to start and see 

regular CD in straight soy burn a touch hotter than CDN but your blend has paraffin and coconut so that may not hold true for you but they may soot more than HTP -I personally don't care for CD in anything paraffin or coconut 

what if you upped your soy percentage to harden the wax more and try the HTP 73 again?  They may be all it needs if that is the only issue your having with a hotter burn at the end 

It's all trial and error with testing - charts are for a basic guidelines for a starting point but wax type and FO load play a huge role in how it will actually perform 

candle Looks good to me so far - the last couple burns will be the tell all

Edited by moonshine

Yeah, that's a good idea. I can down the paraffin and coconut with the HTP 73 and up the soy. I mainly use the coconut wax for the nice smooth color and feel.

I called the importer / manufacturer and they are sending me samples of the CDN line so I'll test the 6 and 8!

Thanks again for the help!