Favorite FO supplier for perfume use regardless of price?

Darbla

I went on Day-Star's site yesterday thinking I would finally buy a few small bottles of the best quality scents I could find for my personal perfume use, and they seem to be spiraling down now like so many other suppliers have.  A lot of their FOs are marked OOS, some are sold now only in large quantities, and there were just fewer FOs in general.  I'm looking for the best ylang-ylang, violet, osmanthus, and orange blossom, as examples, but others too.  So if I'm buying only a couple ounces of each to make the best perfumes I can come up with, who would you recommend?  Would WSP be my next best bet?

Edited by Darbla

I've been having a lot of luck with piping rock's fragrance oils so far. I make solid perfumes, though, and I have no experience making personal fragrance items of any other type. I don't really care about phthalates, either, but I know that some people do. I don't even know if piping rock claims to be pthalate free or not, but the company overall seems shady as hell so wouldn't matter to me what they claimed. I wouldn't buy EO's from them, too many red flags, but with fragrance oils I honestly just want something that smells good and lasts a decent bit. All of that said and in spite of their sketchy vibes..

Their fragrance oils have lasted a lot longer (wearing them in solid perfume) than fragrance oils from any other company I have tried. I have tried Rustic Escentuals, Nature's Garden, Bramble Berry and Bulk Apothecary. They all have at least a couple fragrance oils that I really like, but they fade pretty fast on me, like usually completely gone within 2 hours, and that's even though I go way over the % guidelines when making stuff for my own use. I really love how they smell so I still use them. Also have an order on the way from Wholesale Supplies Plus, will be trying them for the first time soon.

Tried some from piping rock and so far all of the ones I tried have lasted waaaaaay longer than what I am used to getting. I used their musk fragrance oil all by itself in a solid perfume and the scent was still lingering on me over 6 hours later, which again since I'm used to only 1-2 hours, getting over 6 hours had me pretty stoked. Like the scent of it is soft in nature, but it LASTED a long time, which just made my day. So I've started using it in all manner of blend combos with my other oils hoping to get more longevity overall. Granted their prices and shipping definitely works out to more than the usual $3/oz for fragrance oil that I am used to, but it's still fairly low pricing and (to me) is worth the extra staying power.

Only other things I can think to add if you have never tried them before, is that their stuff is displayed as being on super sale basically all the time, just a heads up, so there is no need to buy a bunch of stuff at once trying to not miss what seems like a great sale, it's just a marketing thing they do. Also if you ever craft stuff to sell it or otherwise need to make big batches, piping rock only sells little bottles at a time as far as I know, like half oz to 2oz size and then you have to rip the dropper inserts out of all the bottles if you're looking to dump larger quantities into a big batch of whatever. Also their choices are pretty limited, but again everything I have tried from them so far has smelled really good, been really strong and lasted several hours on my skin type even when diluted in a bunch of wax and butter. 

So in a nutshell I am basically hooked as all hell on a few fragrance oils from them, but it doesn't bother me too much since I already order fragrance oils from a handful of different companies, they all pretty much have 2-3 that I'm in love with while everything else I sampled was a dud for my tastes. Shipping fees basically murder my bank account every time I get in the mood to sample new stuff and grow my collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbla said:

Thanks, never heard of them.  I'm eyeing MMS right now as they have tuberose, osmanthus, jasmine, and a few others I want, so I'm going to try their dozen 1 oz samples deal, and I've never heard anything bad about their quality.

MMS? Popped it into a search engine and am seeing a lot of results for The Sage. Have never tried them before, myself, but I might check out their Sahara Sandalwood and their version of Nag Champa when next month's hobby budget is ready. I'm a shameless lover of head shop and incense type scents, but damn I swear finding a sandalwood I like and that isn't super faint is like hunting leprechauns. Their price variation from one fragrance oil to the next is also on my list of hopeful signs when contemplating trying a new company, speaks positively to their business ethos and potentially the quality.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this back up to the top to see if anyone now has more input, and add a few more specific scents:

Ylang-ylang

Violet

Lilac

Jasmine

Osmanthus (tea olive)

Orange blossom  (neroli)

Rose (I bet Candybee is going to say FB Gypsy Rose!)

Basically I'm looking for the best of those florals because y'all know how head-stabby bad florals can be.  I think Tony asked about jasmine and neroli in another post so I'll go peruse that too.  How about any other nice florals that you guys can think of?  I'm in the mood for Spring so these are interesting me right now.

Darbla, do you shop at Nurture Soap much? I think I recall that you do, but I had to throw them in the mix because they have some really great FOs. I know a lot of them are Lush dupes, but boy, they smell really high-end to me! IMO, their Frozen is a really nice rose-floral.

I've never purchased from Nurture but after Candybee mentioned them recently I perused their web site.  And now I want to buy 2 ouncers of every single one of their dupes and then be deliriously happy for about a month testing them all!.....

• Haha 1

Ah, maybe it was Candybee I was thinking of!

Nurture has some wonderful oils! Everything I have gotten from them has performed very well in my CP soap. My only complaint (besides the price, lol) is that so many of them are not safe for leave on applications. And they don't do do very well in wax either. So that limits their use to soap, shampoo, etc, maybe room sprays... But when I'm paying that much for an oil, I really need it to perform well in a variety of applications, kwim? There are plenty that are fine for lotions, soaps, perfumes, and such though, so it's well worth it to check them out. And they have dupes of Mad Oils FOs that you can't get any more, and I love love love so many of the MO fragrances!

Ha, I just talked myself into a Nurture order, lol!! 😅

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, Darbla said:

Bumping this back up to the top to see if anyone now has more input, and add a few more specific scents:

Ylang-ylang

Violet

Lilac

Jasmine

Osmanthus (tea olive)

Orange blossom  (neroli)

Rose (I bet Candybee is going to say FB Gypsy Rose!)

Basically I'm looking for the best of those florals because y'all know how head-stabby bad florals can be.  I think Tony asked about jasmine and neroli in another post so I'll go peruse that too.  How about any other nice florals that you guys can think of?  I'm in the mood for Spring so these are interesting me right now.

I tend not to like Rose because it tends to smell musty or fake, but BA's Fresh Rose is spot on. Now, for Violet, it depends on what you're looking for- if you're talking about the light, powdery violet similar to the delicate candies, JS has one. BA has a violet that may be more like a fresh violet, but I honestly have no idea what a fresh violet smells like, because I've never really detected much scent at all. BA's Jasmine is also authentic. I don't have many of their oils, I just happen to have those.