Safety questions

Hello! I have a few safety related questions. I've been making candles for months as a hobby and am thinking about ramping it up a bit (still very small compared to most of you). Just planning to make some for friends and family. I've recently been wearing a respirator and gloves and I know from reading this forum I should prob also get some safety goggles. Wasn't wearing any of this the first few months but I wasn't making many so hopefully I won't have any ill effects. ?Anything else I should think about?

Are there certain health concerns that candle makers have to worry about? Anything that is conclusively linked? 

Lastly, on a few occasions I placed some scented candles that I needed to remelt into my oven then the next day cooked in the same oven. Not a good idea? What do you guys use in place of the oven? 

Thank you!!

Sounds like you have the safety gear in place and just need goggles. Personally I don't wear goggles making candles but do wear them making CP soap.

The last things I would add are make sure the room you are making the candles in is well ventilated. If you don't have windows use a fan. Additionally, I wear old clothes when making candles, soap. Long sleeved shirts and long pants and covered feet will protect you from molten wax spills or splatters. Once I dropped a pour pot of molten wax on the floor and it splattered all over the floor, cabinetry, and me. It was a good thing I had long pants and shoes on so I wasn't burned.

I don't wear safety glasses either, but second the ventilation!

My habits are:

1. closed toe shoes

2. respirator - I only put this on when I get to weighing, pouring and mixing FOs. I don't wear it while the wax melts. 

3. gloves

4. spill cabinet - it's a big yellow metal cabinet where I keep all of my FOs. That way if anything spills it's contained, and keeps my dogs and kid out of FOs as well, also keeps them in a dark space which I think is beneficial.

5. rubbing alcohol - I like to have this on hand to clean up any FO drips or spills

6. open windows in the room I'm in and adjacent room

7. unplug everything when I'm done - presto pot, heat gun, griddle all get unplugged from the wall, not just turned off. 

I pour in really small batches, and I don't do the eye protection or respirator. I only use soy wax (generally GB464) - I think if I used paraffin I would change some of my habits to protect myself more.  It sounds like you are taking great caution - well done!

I DO wear shoes and old clothes (that aren't too loose fitting). I ALWAYS UNPLUG EVERYTHING when I am done for the night (and I never leave the glue gun or heat tool plugged in unless I am using them at that moment). I have rubbing alcohol and paper towels always within reach (for FO spills and to wipe my hands and FO bottles after I pour the FO). I store my FO bottles in cabinets in the craft room (this room was an old kitchen, so I have great storage) - the FO bottles are stored in covered plastic bins (to contain the smells) inside the cabinets. I DO inspect my bottles regularly because I have had some expand and look like they might explode. I store my bottles of dyes in an open box - the dyes tend to smell gross, but I am afraid that the chemicals in the dyes would become too concentrated and toxic or dangerous if they didn't get air. My wax is usually stored on the floor in the original case (closed) until it is about half gone, then I bag it up in 1 pound increments (so I know exactly how much I have left). I have been pouring candles for 4+ years and never had a chemical burn or wax burn (knock on wood). But that stinkin' hot glue has gotten me good on three occasions.

When I am done pouring for the night (especially when the weather is chilly), I close the door to the craft room (to keep the room at an even temperature) and I don't return to the room until the next day. I don't use an open flames in my craft room -- ever!

I have remelted in my oven and had no lasting indications I had done such (no lingering scent or anything). I do use a cookie sheet to catch any drips and in case a glass were to ever crack.