Foodie Aroma Chemicals You May Want to Try

glasllyn

Before I say anything else, these aromas are very strong. Do not open it and smell them OOB! Dilute them first!

Dimethyl-2,3 Pyrazine- If you need something that smells like nuts, as in real, roasted hazelnuts, Frangelico- that sort of thing, try this. It is extremely powerful. Dilute it to something like 3% first, then use a paper tester.  You need so little it's unbelievable, so it is certainly cost-effective, not to mention authentic-smelling. I can see mixing this with coffee, baked goods, cherry, chocolate, and coconut, for sure.

Maltol 50- It smells like caramel and cotton candy and is absolutely a foodie scent and perfect for dessert and baked goods scents. It is also extremely powerful. 

Methyl-5 Furfural- Almonds, Amaretto. If you wanted to do a Cherry Almond, this would be superb, especially with a little vanilla. I can also see this is coffee and chocolate blends. 

Coumarex DB- This is a very nice vanilla  with some hay or straw notes. It could be foodie or not foodie. It is not all up in your grill screaming "VANILLAAAAAAA!" but rather has a natural, smooth nature that would be lovely with coconut, caramel ,or non-food earthy scents.

Gamma Octalactone- Coconut, peach, and apricot. Very creamy. You can smell the creamy richness. Aren't chemicals fascinating? I'm not sure I'd use this in a candle, but in soap? Absolutely!

If you're interested, I'll share some more as they come my way.

• Like 1

I was reluctant about soap since I could not obtain IFRA Certs reliably at the time I bought mine. Plus, quite a few when I was researching and purchasing were not designated for soap. Do those survive and behave in a high pH environment?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

what about for roll on perfume or body spray, lotion etc ? 

Is this question to me? If so, then I would still need the IFRA Certs for each to know what usage rate is safe for each individual item.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is this question to me? If so, then I would still need the IFRA Certs for each to know what usage rate is safe for each individual item.

No it was meant for glasllyn lol ! I must have quoted you by accident :( 

These are perfuming materials, and some, if not all of those, are used in food production. So, yes, they are meant for the skin. I consult the MSDS for each to learn the skin safety limits and any restrictions.  This is the best resource to me. I use it before I purchase any material. The search tool is very quick and convenient, and there's nothing you can't find: 

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/

Quick note: sometimes it is actually noted that a material works well in candles and or soaps.

Edited by glasllyn
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I was reluctant about soap since I could not obtain IFRA Certs reliably at the time I bought mine. Plus, quite a few when I was researching and purchasing were not designated for soap. Do those survive and behave in a high pH environment?

I wish I could answer your question about pH. The companies that sell them should know that, and I can tell you that the customer service at PA , as well as The Perfumer's Supply House, in particular, has exceeded my expectations. 

• Like 1