Lumpy top in clamshell

Lana

Hi everyone,

I make wax melts in clamshells using parasoy pillar wax. When I used to make them in my main kitchen, there was always moving air, whether from me and the dogs walking around, opening doors, A/C being on, etc. Because of this (or so I thought), my tops were always a little lumpy. I moved my work station to my 2nd kitchen in my basement and like magic, I had some of the smoothest tops.

However, I have not changed my formula, my location, etc. and all of a sudden, I'm getting lumpy tops again. 

My process is this: I heat my wax to 195, remove from heat, add FO at 180, stir for a few mins or until it reaches 150 and pour. 

Attached is an image of the same fragrance, but made on separate days. Temperature in the room has been consistent. I keep a small space heater on when I am working and it is on the lowest setting and it is not pointed in the direction of my work space. 

Is my counter top too cold, perhaps? (We haven't had cold weather here, but I suppose it's possible that my countertop is for some reason colder than normal). If so, is there something I could lay on my counter when I'm pouring to help them cool more evenly?

Or maybe I'm way off and it's a different cause. Please help. I want my smooth tops back. :(

image.jpeg

Edited by Lana
Typo

You can try putting the clamshells on a cookie cooling rack and maybe placing that on a towel, just be sure it's all level.  It would help if the surface is cold. I don't use parasoy so not much help.  When I get sinking with soy, it's usually due to ambient temperature and wax temp when pouring.