Strange wick behavior at the end of the candle

I haven't had this happen before, and I'm trying to figure out if it's the wick or the FO (or the combination of the two).

Wax: 464

Wick: CD10

FO: Peak's Birds of Paradise

Container: 8oz tin (the CS ones)

Cure time: two weeks to first test, been testing about a week

The first few test burns went great! Awesome HT, happy with the wick performance. The last couple test burns the wick has started mushrooming a bit and has been much smaller, and the HT is less. As I mentioned, I haven't ever had this happen, all of my test burns have been pretty consistent no matter how far burned down the candle was. 

I haven't used this FO before, and I haven't used the CD wicks in this container before (only in glass so far). I'm also seeing more hang up on the walls of the tin with this batch. I can certainly do different combos of the FO/wick/container to see what the variable is, but I wondered if anyone's had this happen with the container/wick/FO I mentioned above. 

Hi JB....hmmmm.....I use exact everything you use, tins, oils and wicks and cure time....everything.

I'm thinking it sounds to me like the wick. Maybe you need to up it a size to a cd 12.  That is what I use for my 8oz tins.

You said something is smaller?  What?

Trappeur

5 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Hi JB....hmmmm.....I use exact everything you use, tins, oils and wicks and cure time....everything.

I'm thinking it sounds to me like the wick. Maybe you need to up it a size to a cd 12.  That is what I use for my 8oz tins.

You said something is smaller?  What?

Trappeur

Lol I left out the words 'the flame' which are pretty crucial in that sentence. The flame was smaller. I have a CD 12 with same FO and same tin I can test to see what happens - I'll start that one tonight. I am using 6% for oil. 

• 2 weeks later...