Universal Additive

Can anyone please explain if or not you notice that wax reaches a FMP quicker with the use of universal additive. I know what they describe it to do on various sites, but could someone give an example of the candles performance with the addition of universal additive? I will order some, but what I am looking for is a more of a full Melt Pool with out adding additional soy. I am satisfied with the wick size for long term burn, but if a customer only burns the candle 3 hours and the candle dont get a FMP for 6, the candle may run into tunneling issues.

I Don't know what wax you are using.

I Can't answer to your question specifically;

But I CAN tell you that as long has your buying your wax from a

reputable supplier such as Candlewic.com (or) Candlescience.com

Most container waxes do NOT require additives anymore.

As waxes are formulated pretty well these days; and even on suppliers

websites it WILL tell you most of the Time that Additives are NOT needed.

Especially for container waxes. :)

Right on candle science's description for the IGI 4627 wax it says

Quote: "This requires no additional additives - just add color and fragrance."

Container Waxes are formulated pretty well these days. :)

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

9 hours ago, Grani L said:

Can anyone please explain if or not you notice that wax reaches a FMP quicker with the use of universal additive. I know what they describe it to do on various sites, but could someone give an example of the candles performance with the addition of universal additive? I will order some, but what I am looking for is a more of a full Melt Pool with out adding additional soy. I am satisfied with the wick size for long term burn, but if a customer only burns the candle 3 hours and the candle dont get a FMP for 6, the candle may run into tunneling issues.

Do you mean FMP on the first burn? I never get a FMP on my first burn. Generally I don't reach FMP until at least my 3rd burn, that is unless I'm burning for at least 9+ hours at a time (which is a 'never' for me) and I never run into tunneling issues... 

IMO depending on the size of your candle, if you reach FMP on the first burn, you are wicking too big and the container you are burning in will be incredibly HOT by the time it reaches the middle to end of your candle. 

No - not on the first burn.  But I would expect it by the 3rd or 4th burn to have a FMP of at least 1/4 inch. But - it just seems that it should burn out to the edge of the jar in at least 2 hours. That is - in a 3 inch diameter jar. -- I was curious. As I am burning one of my jar candles, and burning a "Y...ee Tumbler Jar.  I lit them both a half hour ago. My jar is just a walmart cylinder tumbler. -- The Y tumbler has a thick wick inside, a very still flame, and the pool has burned out about 1 1/2 inches. Mines has burned out about an inch. This has been 1/2 hour. The Y wax  burns effortlessly in a jar that has no shoulders. That is why I was wondering if there was an additive besides soy wax that will allow for a quicker MP. Soy would be good, but then some things would be compromised.

Granni, what wax are you using and what additives are you adding in what quantity to what amount of wax? Universal Candle Additive as in a vybar like or universal soy additive which is not the same thing? Universal additive is a plastic and should actually in normal amounts do nothing to the burn quality.

I am using 6006 wax. I haven't used any additives. I was curious to know if adding "Universal Additive" would help the wax melt to the sides of the Jar quicker. The jar is a 3 inch diameter tumbler. It seems like the wax needs a little something to "Help" the MP without going up a wick size. I just am not sure what that could be besides soy.

On 12/9/2016 at 7:05 PM, Grani L said:

I am using 6006 wax. I haven't used any additives. I was curious to know if adding "Universal Additive" would help the wax melt to the sides of the Jar quicker. The jar is a 3 inch diameter tumbler. It seems like the wax needs a little something to "Help" the MP without going up a wick size. I just am not sure what that could be besides soy.

Have you tested the whole candle's burn the whole way down?  I use the smallest wick I can with the best results with 6006.  I almost always test several sizes.  Once the candle works its way down the heat from the wick will melt the sides and consume it on it's way to the end.  By halfway in most containers it is cleaning the sides nicely.  While I play with blending waxes together, and I've blended 6006 with other waxes I don't think adding soy to 6006 will change the speed of a full melt pool.  Adding more soy will most likely change the wicking tho, as 6006 is higher in paraffin than soy.