Trying one more time...

Hi all,

I have decided to try making candles again....one more time. I have given it my all, twice before over the last 6 years, and have failed spectacularly both those times. I have spent thousands of dollars, countless hours, and months of researching and testing. (as Im sure many others have as well)

I have a successful soap business and it would be great if I could add candles.  So here I am.  This will probably be my last attempt and I pray, the candle Gods will help me.

I have decided on  a 4' jar.  I will be using 464 and cd wicks.

Can someone recommend a starting wick size for this jar?  Im assuming it will need to be double wicked.

Thanks to any and all that read this and can suggest something.

samirish

I have only dabbled with 464, I prefer the parasoy that I work with, but knowing what I know about CD wicks etc I would say pour a plain unscented jar about half full with two CD 7 and maybe another one with two CD 8 and compare the two as they act in the lower half of the jar.  From there you can have a base point of what the wax and wick can do before adding fragrance. 

When I double wick a container I like to put the wick tabs a little closer at the bottom, but when I adjust the wicks after the pour I pull them slightly off to the sides so there is more space between them at the top of the candle vs. the bottom.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!  Here is a pic of the jar I intend to use.  As you can see its low, and about 4 inches wide. I have decided to just pick one jar, and concentrate on that.  In the past, I tried countless jars with all different types of wick.  It was chaos! lol

jar.jpg

1 hour ago, samirish said:

Thanks for the replies!  Here is a pic of the jar I intend to use.  As you can see its low, and about 4 inches wide. I have decided to just pick one jar, and concentrate on that.  In the past, I tried countless jars with all different types of wick.  It was chaos! lol

jar.jpg

That jar size will be difficult to wick on a good day. Generally, a container that is taller than wide will be easier jars to wick. 

• Like 3

OOOOooooo....with that jar you are going to hit "the tealight conundrum".  With a usual container candle you can burn several hours at a time, blow out, then burn again.  With a tealight you often have to burn the whole thing in one sitting.  One of my wick tests with tealights is blowing them out about 2 to 2 1/2 hours into the burn and then relighting them.  There is a fine line where the tealight wick can pick back up and burn the rest with full consumption.  If the wick can't do it, the whole bottom of the tealight is wasted.

With a wide and shallow container you may also hit a point where the candle needs to burn through to finish, if you extinguish then the wicks can't pick it back up and consume fully, leaving a lot of waste wax.  After seeing the jar I'm more inclined to agree with Trappeur above and use the smaller CD wicks.  But I think I would try three CD4 in one jar and two CD5 in another and see how the wicks consume. 

• Like 2