First time selling - am I crazy?

jbradshaw

I recently got into candle making, mainly as a hobby and to gift to friends and family. Well, an acquaintance of mine owns a small store and every December she runs a 'homemade craft fair' in the store for local vendors to sell. My husband is really encouraging me to do it, but I'm feeling unprepared. The shop is quite small and very niche (only baby products apart from when she does this far) so it's not like there would be a lot of traffic and sales, but I have concerns.

So far I've only done 3 batches of candles and they turned out great, but I feel like that's just luck given all I've read on this forum about how long it can take to really get the hang of this craft. But besides the products themselves, I feel like there is so much I'd need to figure out in the next six weeks - insurance, warning labels (I've just been using the CS ones), safety instruction cards, product labels with all the required info, and I'm sure even more that I haven't thought of yet, even though I've been reading through this forum like crazy. 

Do you think it would be crazy to try to get all these things sorted in the next six weeks, and also make the candles themselves? Has anyone gone from 0 to 60 and want to share their experience? 

Thanks in advance! 

How long have you been making candles? Have you thoroughly tested your candles? The concerns you have are good ones, and personally, I don't think with only 3 batches of candles you are ready to sell yet. IMO that is not enough time to really KNOW your candles, and how they will burn, and if you have the right wicks for every scent, combo, etc., And yes, if you are venturing into selling insurance should be a priority. 

This forum is a wealth of information, and for labeling I would go to Marie Gales blog, read it thoroughly, then get her book which goes into even more detailed information about labeling in the US. (Sorry, it's just an assumption that you are in the States - if not, find your local government websites, and they should be helpful for labeling) 

Whatever you do, good luck, but I would take a step back, and maybe slow down a bit, especially when it comes to this craft. 

• Like 5

Guest OldGlory
51 minutes ago, jbradshaw said:

I recently got into candle making, mainly as a hobby and to gift to friends and family. Well, an acquaintance of mine owns a small store and every December she runs a 'homemade craft fair' in the store for local vendors to sell. My husband is really encouraging me to do it, but I'm feeling unprepared. The shop is quite small and very niche (only baby products apart from when she does this far) so it's not like there would be a lot of traffic and sales, but I have concerns.

So far I've only done 3 batches of candles and they turned out great, but I feel like that's just luck given all I've read on this forum about how long it can take to really get the hang of this craft. But besides the products themselves, I feel like there is so much I'd need to figure out in the next six weeks - insurance, warning labels (I've just been using the CS ones), safety instruction cards, product labels with all the required info, and I'm sure even more that I haven't thought of yet, even though I've been reading through this forum like crazy. 

Do you think it would be crazy to try to get all these things sorted in the next six weeks, and also make the candles themselves? Has anyone gone from 0 to 60 and want to share their experience? 

Thanks in advance! 

I second JC's opinion. You may be experiencing beginner's luck or maybe you've nailed it already. You said you feel unprepared based on what you've read. I think you should trust your gut. I am a quick learner and it took me a solid 6 months to figure it out and be confident selling a finished product. But honestly, I was still in a learning curve for a simple soy wax container candle.

Can you post some pictures of how your candles look after a 2 hour burn, a 3 hour burn, and a 6 hour burn? Any details you want to share will help us help you. What wax do you use? Which wicks do you use? What is your fragrance:wax ratio?

Thanks for the feedback!

To provide more info: 

I've been making candles for 2.5 months, but I work full time and have a young baby so the sessions have been weeks apart.

I used the Soy Candle Kit from Candle Science so it's 464 wax, 8 oz tins, ECO 6" wicks, and I've only used their fragrance oils as well, doing 1oz per pound (I did mix two of the fragrance oils together to try it out for one batch and was happy with the results). My MIL used to make candles, and was really excited about me trying them, so she bought me some new FOs and supplies for my birthday but I haven't tried them yet. 

I wish I had taken photos, but didn't think to! I'd like to be more formal in my testing so I'll add photos to my notes. I only did 4 hour burn tests, next time I'll add in other tests as well. I did overfill one of the batches so I had a little bit of shrinkage away from the sides of the container, but overall I was really happy with the cold and hot throws, as well as the appearance. I've only used the tins so I was just looking at the appearance from the top.

I think you are both right, if I'm not feeling ready in my gut I need to trust that. No reason to stress myself out before the holidays!! I appreciate your opinions, this forum has been an amazing resource and I'm so excited to get further into this hobby and see if I end up with a product I'd be proud to sell :)  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's impossible but it would take some work for sure.  Since you are so new I'd only offer 2-4 scents in 1 jar type, that way you could have it all tested by the time of the fair.  Insurance is typically very quick, companies either offer for candles or don't so finding a company will take the longest and once you've found one it's very quick.  I wouldn't reinvent the wheel if you decide to do it.  Stick with the labels you currently use and print up or buy some caution labels for the bottom of the jars.  Spend your time testing and trying to find some creative way to package the candle for gift giving.

• Like 1