Random Gel Phase?

Sponiebr

Let me preface this with I haven't used FO's before now, so technically every "new" batch is a new experience for me. 

With that out of the way I made up a batch of Jamaica Me Crazy FO (CS) 10% SF soap using my "standard" formulation. Per the above I haven't used this FO before. 

I replaced 10 g of OO with 10 g of turmeric infused (clear, no particulates) OO. And less than 1 g red Moroccan clay for a swirl. I've used the clay before with no issues, so I can cross that one off of my culprit list. The turmeric infused OO and the FO were the newcomers. I didn't let this batch trace quite as thick as I normally would have because I wanted to try a swirling technique and I also wanted to see if I could get enough time out of a batch to be able to pour 24 individual molds. I didn't pour the individual cups I just loafed it. 

I was intending to leave it at room temp overnight to do it's thing. Before I left the building I checked the soap and it was warm and had a slight bulge forming in the middle. The overage went into 2 of those little 1.75 oz "Hand Made" molds. The loaf went into the freezer to sit until the next day when I could keep an eye on it. 

So today I thawed the loaf and cut it and sure as hell, it went through gel in the center. Okay! I can dig it... These things happen in loafs... Must've been the FO... 

But WAIT! There's more! 

The little 2 oz cups? I left those at room temp (70F) to set up. When I glanced at them they were covered in soda ash, (no surprise there), but they had little cracks in the tops. THEY went through gel phase too! They were even bulged around the middle! 

I really wouldn't have thought that something with such a large surface area and so little mass would have gone through gel phase like that. It's more than a little creepy, and I'm REALLY glad I put that loaf into the freezer. 

So, are citrus FO's known for soap volcanoes or was it because I didn't let it trace in the pot enough? I crinkle cut the loaf and with a little rubbing alcohol and buffing of the dinged up soft edges they will be beautiful soaps. 

Notes about the turmeric oil: 10 g turned the whole pot of fats neon highlighter yellow. The fats turned light orange (no yellow), with the lye in the pot. Cured almost as white as if I had not added anything at all. They are turning slightly cream colored as they dry. 

Slainte,

Sponie 

Here is a web page listing the chemical components of turmeric. http://www.herballegacy.com/Alter_Chemical.html

Tumeric does contain several things that make spice eo/FO heat and accelerate. Eugenol is a big one. Only a tiny amount can spur the reaction you noted. 

it has little to do with the thickness of trace when chemical reaction is going to happen.

citrus tends to have the opposite effect, so I would be reluctant to blame the FO, especially until I knew the components of it. It is possible the FO has additives like DPG, but then the soap would have accelerated or behaved otherwise strangely. 

The the simplest test is to make two small batches, one with turmeric and none of that FO. The other with the FO and none of that tmeric infusion. 

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks TT! I see that there is also a large amount of terpinene in turmeric as well. Thinking about it I was at just over 1% with the turmeric infusion so, yeah that's a significant number. I'll try another small batch with the remaining FO and see if I get a reaction, if yes, then it's the FO if not then it was the infused oil. So far I've not had any issues with any of the FO's I have gotten from CS, and any FO's that had problems associated with them are listed in the reviews or noted in the description.

Between the FO or the turmeric colorant I can live without the colorant, so I really need to determine if it is the FO without wasting any material... So I'll skip the turmeric and test the FO and if it's good, I get a small batch of soap that can be used, if it's bad all I'm out is a small bad batch which is a 25% better chance for a successful outcome.    

I really need to get some oxides if I'm going to sit here and sweat colorants and such... 

Cheers! -Sponie

• Like 1

Speaking along these lines, has anyone had issues with annatto infused OO used as a colorant? It seems as though it is a fairly unique colorant that looks like it would be interesting for soaps. Apparently the bixin (the orangey bit)  is insoluble in water but soluble in fats. Upon exposure to a strong alkali it saponifies into norbixin which is soluble in water. Let me see here... I'm reading this as: It stains your skin bad. Then when you make soap out of it, the wet soap stains anything that it was laying on...  

Am I smelling this right? o.O