CS liquid dye measurement?

Anyone know if Candle Science liquid dyes are measured by volume or weight? They just say 1oz

Part of me thinks its by weight since that is what chandlers use and what they sell everything else in. 

But I am unclear. 

Also, any idea how many ml or "drops" are in a bottle roughly?

I know, strange questions. But I am trying to update them in my inventory software and it would be nice when making batches to have an idea of my stock remaining in dyes just like I have with everything else.

Thanks

What about switching their dropper out with a calibrated glass dropper? its going to be by volume but i believe but you should be able to convert that to weight? I'm not sure if that would help you out at all.  

This is from Wiki

How much is a drop?
The minim was defined as one 60th of a fluid dram or one 480th of a fluid ounce. This is equal to about 61.6 μL (U.S.) or 59.2 μL (Britain). Pharmacists have since moved to metric measurements, with a drop being rounded to exactly 0.05 mL (that is, 20 drops per milliliter).

or you could probably use disposable pipettes
Edited by Siren12

Well that was actually my thinking as well.

And the included droppers should have a measurement of the drop they release. But I dont think CS knows what it is.

I have tried other droppers to attach and have had poor luck. They leak, dont seal, or no easy way to close the tip.

Regarding the 1 drop = 5ml.  I have found that as well.

The problem is.... I have no idea how many ml in their bottles so it doesn't help much. :/

if you have a 1oz Bottle of the dye  it will approximately be 29.57ml  technically it would probably be a bit more than that but you would need to find out the specific gravity of the liquid dye. 

so if you divide the 29.57ml  of the dye by the 0.05 ml  per drop you should get about 591 drops per 1oz bottle (assuming i did my math right)  

actually that is if its 1 FLUID OUNCE. That is the problem

theya re 1oz bottles by weight not volume. Otherwise this would be easy. :)

your math is correct, but its for volume which the dyes are not sold in.

I've been estimating 500 drops per bottle. but that is just wild estimation

Edited by wthomas57

yah unfortunately i do not know.

One option is to get brand new bottles.. weigh them. Then use a set number of drops that are siginifcant. Say.... 100.

Then weigh again. That will give me an idea of weight per 100 drops then I could break down to individual drops roughly.

The issue with that is.... I dont want to go buy a dozen + more bottles of dye just for that purpose. ha

not right now at least

• Like 1

Personally I would assume that the density of the liquid dye was the same as water, which when you convert the oz to fl oz they basically equal 1 ( even though i know that the dye is going to have a greater density). I also think it would be too much of a head ache for me to separate the drops out to new bottles and honestly you would probably be wasting time and money trying to do that. 

when you divide the cost ($4.88 without shipping) it ends up being just about a penny per drop (using 500 drops as an estimate). 

IMHO its not worth the effort -  I do understand why you would want to know exactly how much you could get out of 1oz though

1 minute ago, Siren12 said:

Personally I would assume that the density of the liquid dye was the same as water, which when you convert the oz to fl oz they basically equal 1 ( even though i know that the dye is going to have a greater density). I also think it would be too much of a head ache for me to separate the drops out to new bottles and honestly you would probably be wasting time and money trying to do that. 

when you divide the cost ($4.88 without shipping) it ends up being just about a penny per drop (using 500 drops as an estimate). 

IMHO its not worth the effort -  I do understand why you would want to know exactly how much you could get out of 1oz though

I totally agree with you and wasn't after anything crazy specific. Just looking for a ballpark figure. Ive been doing a drop per penny basically. And assuming 500 drops per bottle. I just trying to verify I wasn't way off ya know. Ive been looking for mass of liquid dye in relation to water and hadn't found anything yet. But like you said.,. its probably just a bit more than water. 

thanks

• Like 1