kepoore

What's your name? Kelli

How old are you? Twenty-three

Where do you live? Maryland, USA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've made melt and pour soaps a few times in the past few years, but I'm brand new to candle making!

Are you married? Any kids? Married, but we have no children yet

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work with fabrics in a quality testing lab

Anything else we should know? I've wanted to get into candle making for a few years now, but honestly it all seems pretty intimidating! Also intriguing because the craft seems to have so much science behind it in order for it to turn out exactly how you want. I've promised myself I'd finally take the step forward and gift homemade candles to friends and family this holiday season! I'm so happy a place like this exists because there is endless amounts of tips and information from both the experienced members here and those who are also new like me. I'm very excited to read through the threads and gather everything I can before placing my order at Peak and beginning this journey! If you have any helpful advice, feel free to leave it here!! It will be very much appreciated :)

Side Note: I plan on creating candles with soy wax

Edited by kepoore
  • Like 1

Welcome to Craft Server Kelli! Glad to have you with us.

Sounds like you are on the right track. There is some science and a learning curve involved in making candles that smell good and are safe to. Mostly you will be doing a lot of testing before you have your first candle ready.

There is a state supplier list in the general candle section to help you find candlemaking suppliers to order from. Shipping can be brutal and sometimes closer is not the cheapest when it comes to suppliers. Peaks is a great supplier and one of the best. Since I live in Virginia you and I will probably use the same suppliers. Some good ones to try are:

Candle Science (NC) - great fragrance oils (FOs), wicks, wax, jars, dyes

Peaks (Harrisonburg, PA) - great FOs, wax, wicks, jars, molds, dyes

Candles and Supplies (Quakertown, PA) - tons of good FOs, wicks, dyes, wax, jars

Candlewic (PA) - wax, great FOs

Fillmore Container (Lancaster, PA) - great prices on candle jars, canning jars, great FOs

Backwoods Fragrance Supply (PA) - great FOs, some wax & candle supplies

There are others you will find and everyone has their favs. Good luck!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, thank you so much, Candybee! That was very helpful and much appreciated. I'm very excited to begin this journey and not only make my first candle, but also to learn a lot through all of this testing. Thank you for your warm welcome :)

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Welcome, Kelli!

I am a soy wax fan too, started out with soy and still pour plenty of soy for a client who insists on it. It is a fussy wax, as you are about to find out, but doable.

My first suggestion would be to limit your variables for a while. Use one wax, maybe 2 or 3 fragrance oils of different types (one bakery, one fruity, one woodsy for example), one size jar or container, and read the wicking suggestions that various websites/suppliers offer. I buy about 70% of my supplies from Aztec in Knoxville TN, and they offer (my favorite) Premier wicks, and a lot of information on selecting your wicks. They also offer a 5 for $5 each month on one oz fragrance samples (shipping on the 5 one oz bottles is around $7) so you don't have to spend a lot of money. You can find a lot of suggestions on which fragrances work in which waxes in the fragrance discussion category.

There are lots of suppliers out there and they are mostly similar in what they offer. You might want to pick one that has everything you want AND decent shipping costs. Not all suppliers tack on extra costs, but some do. I would cry if I had to pay shipping on wax and jars - I'm really spoiled by having a supplier 30 miles away. I limit my suppliers to 3 or 4. I can find 99% of what I need between them.

Good luck!!