Starting over

I think I have confused myself with trying different waxes, wicks, scents and dyes.   

So I have decided to completely start over and see what combinations work.  

I am am using cranberry marmalade from candle science in the following waxes and then I will test which wick series works best in the wax combo that I select.   

I am making up a candle in the following waxes...

c3

crystalizing Palm wax

This way I can see how the different waxes set up and how their scent throw is and so forth.    

• Like 1

Thank you Vicky_co - I sure will. I'll be honest...I want to stay with all soy; however, I have only made the palm candle, the parasoy and the 415 wax so far....and I have to say that the palm wax and the parasoy have a better cold throw than the 415.... I guess we will wait and see what happens.

The cold and hot throw is why I ended with a parasoy blend. I wanted 100% soy also but it just was not to be. I could never quite get my wicking down with palm in a container well at least the container I was using at the time. I love palm pillars to this day they are my favorite pillar candles.

Faerywren - I will be honest soy will drive you crazy or at least it is driving me bonkers. I am having some scents throw excellent and some not at all. I have Cranberry Marmalade curing in some palm wax and some 6006 as we speak and I'm looking forward to reporting back with my results.

Thank you for your support.  :-)

• Like 1

It took me about a year and a half of testing, testing, testing, to get things just how I wanted them. That was 13 years ago, and now my candle business is my full time job. Stick with it, and TAKE NOTES!! I have a bank box full of spiral notebooks full of notes that I've taken over the years and I've not converted it all into an excel spreadsheet. I finally settled on only making 2 sizes of mason jars and the 6-cavity clamshell tarts, and I only use 464 wax, and I only use one certain type of wick, and I buy ALL of my FO and dye from the same supplier. You will find what works for you, and it will just click. Don't give up. We've all had to start over at least once :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2016 at 7:31 PM, Candelishis said:

Stick with it, and TAKE NOTES!! I have a bank box full of spiral notebooks full of notes that I've taken over the years and I've not converted it all into an excel spreadsheet.

I can't emphasize this enough.   Notes, notes, and more notes.    I was away for a very long time and just found the CD with my labels, spreadsheet, product photos, website, etc.   There are literally hundreds of tested fragrances that I disliked, and as I looked at my wish list, a few of those old fragrances were on my list to try from the same supplier I disliked the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are surely right about the note taking. Looked through some old forums and notes and low and behold I tested some of those fragrances before and had no luck...so why in the world did I test those again???? I dunno is the bast answer that I can give. *dead horse*

I am retesting c3 wax again and hopefully I'll have better luck this time. :bliss: