Wcking 464 and 415 in an 8 oz jelly jar

Hello all.

I am trying to wick an 8 oz jelly jar comparing two waxes. I am testing the 464 wax from Candle Science and the 415 from Candle Science. I am using Watermelon fragrance oil at one ounce per pound. I have cured these candles for one week. I am using red liquid dye which totally made a mess I might add. :-(

Well burn #1 - in the 464 and in the 415 the flame almost went out and was tunneling right down the center of the jar using a cd 10 wick in both combinations. When I first started making candles again I used the cd 12 in the bittercreek kit that I got and the cd 12 was too large for the jelly jar. So I thought by dropping down to a 10, it would work....I was wrong....

I may try a different wicking series and see what happens.

I have visited candles and supplies in Quakertown, PA, and they stated that there should be no reason why a cd 10 is not burning my combination but it just isn't. I know that what works for one person may not work with another.

I can't imagine a cd14 in a jelly jar if the 12 is way too hot for me.   Yikes.   ?

I did purchase some 6006 wax to try.    Maybe that'll work better for me than all soy.    

I will start at a cd8 for that like you stated and see where that goes.    Thank you for your suggestion.    ?  Have a great day.  ?

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I have been working with 464 for at least 5 years and with the Premier wick series I feel like I can wick anything. Moonshine uses 415 successfully but I don't know which wicks she uses.

If you love soy why not try to change other variables and stay with the wax? There are thousands of people who use both of those waxes! It can be done.

• 3 months later...

I use CDs.  I switched to dye free candles as the customers who were excited about soy wax were really happy with undyed.  In an 8 oz jelly with 464, a CD 10 will work for most fragrances without dye.  I think your red is killing you on this one.  Try a 12 or go dye free.