Using Vanilla Bean for lip balm

Is it possible to do an oil infusion with a vanilla pod to get a vanilla flavor to add to my lip balms? And if so, how would I do it? I use sweet almond oil so I was thinking of putting the vanilla pod in the bottle.

I also have dried vanilla bean paste but I think that would just make my lip balms lumpy from the seeds.

• Like 1

You can but be aware that the little bits of vanilla in the pods do come loose into the oil + it takes quite awhile to get a good infusion. You can try doing a super

long LOW simmer with the oil + beans over the stovetop. I do that with coconut oil + vanilla beans - its awesome plus your house smells amazing. Have you 

tried the natural vanilla oil from MMS ? 

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Natural-Vanilla-Oil.html

• Like 1

Funny you should mention their vanilla oil. I was browsing their site yesterday and saw that. I think that is what got me to thinking about the vanilla bean infusion.

Do you mind sharing how you do it with coconut oil? I would really like to try it! Perhaps there is a way to strain the infused oil after the cook to take out any pod debris. Cheesecloth? Coffee filters?

If not, I could still make soap with it!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I don't mind at all .... i buy my beans on ebay or from beanilla https://www.beanilla.com

I'll use a whole jar CO from Trader joes + I put several beans in there - a minimum of 6 but i chop them up after I remove the "caviar" from the inside .

I throw in all in the jar + put that jar in a sauce pan of gently simmering water - SUPER low + just let it go for hours 2-4 +. Some people put it in a crock 

pot or in the oven at the lowest temp - 170 ? I've done that too but just prefer the stovetop method. i take off heat let harden + do it one more time the following 

day then when its done i let completely cool + seal for a week or 2 - then i strain with cheesecloth and put in a new sanitized jar. have you ever tried vanilla

infused sugar - so good . i make that + extract as christmas gifts. I start my extract in Jan/Feb + you need a lot more than 2-4 beans like they show on 

pinterest 

• Like 1

Thanks. I was just reading some of the different methods of infusing vanilla beans into coconut oil online but like your method best. But I did get a good idea to use the infused oil for sugar scrubs.

I've always wanted to make my own vanilla extract but never got around to it. I will check out beanilla.

• Like 1

Have you ever infused oil with coffee, its great for sugar or emulsified scrubs. Now it is grainy but i / others don't mind that. For christmas i made a 

coffee /white +  brown sugar scrub - that oil i infuse for about 3 months + it smells AMAZING ! if you want you can add a touch of CS vanilla hazelnut 

when making the scrub i also like BB turkish mocha or expresso fo . I made some for my sons teacher + school staff ---- they LOVED IT !!! 

• Like 1