A try at containers

Brat

My hubby found this cute heart-shaped glass, and I found two glass jars in the kitchen. I was going for a red color, but it turned out pink. They're scented Chestnuts and Brown Sugar. I know, the color doesn't match the scent, but I wanted the heart to be red. I think the heart is wicked a bit too high, after a few minutes, I have monster flames (not in the pics). They're CD-16. Anyway, did I do ok with the wick placement in the heart? Thanks for looking!

post-1603-139458390613_thumb.jpg

post-1603-139458390616_thumb.jpg

Your wicking placement looks great. Don't know what kind of wax you are using, but the CD-16's are much too large for that container.

Depending on the wax, and also the fragrance, I would go down to either three CD-12's or CD-14's.

Your color problem sounds like mine, I scented my pillar red hot cinnamon and mine came out pink too....I have a pic of it in the gallery. Are you using liquid or dye block. Despite your choice in color, I really like your candles and I bet the smell of the brown sugar smells yummy!!:grin2:

Chestnuts and Brown Sugar is the reason why I started making candles. I love that scent so much!!!

The wax is IGI-4630 Harmony Blend. These wicks are VERY sooty, is that because they're too large for the container? I got a full melt pool across the whole container with maybe 1/8 inch around the outside in like 45 minutes! Thinkin' I'm gonna wick down some...

That looks like soy wax or a blend of some sort- so getting a true, rich, deep red is nearly an impossibility without the addition of some form of paraffin. With dye chips or blocks you will have one heck of a time even getting a darker pink. I would suggest high quality liquids dyes or powdered pigments designed for soy wax.

On the wicking- that dish should go no higher than a CD 14, and the wicks must be in a symmetrical "V" shape to burn correctly. I am speaking of more than 85% soy. You could wick way down with paraffin but the wick placement would be the same.

Brat, you can find those dishes at Walmart for .97 if you need more. :wink2:

I used a few drops of red liquid dye from the Cajun Candle Factory. I think I used 3 drops in 40 ounces of wax. It looked nice and red while I was stirring!

mystical_angel1219, it's paraffin wax. IGI-4630, and yup, my hubby found it at Wal Mart, he thought I'd like it, and he was right!

And for once, I overwicked. I've had a heck of a time trying to wick soy votives made with Cargill's NatureWax.

Oh, the other 2 containers seem to be burning great!

The wick placement looks good. You can get a good red by doing 3 parts red to one part orange. The yellow in the orange offsets that "pink" cast that the red dye can give you. You do have some very nice looking pink candles though :D

I was going to ask you what type of wax you used, since it has the tell tale signs of IGI 4630 (I use this also ;)), that little swirly look on top! ;):D

I love that pink (I'm a pink-aholic)!!

I agree with Trish, you may want to try smaller wicks with that heart, this wax is notorious for smoking, and you gotta really work at wicking it to keep it from doing so. ;)

Purdy Purdy Brat!!