Newbie with igi4627 Help!!!

No I didn't warm the pour pot but I will tomorrow when I make more. The wax doesn't melt completely until it gets to around 188 to 190 I'm finding. If I take the wax off heat and add dye and fragrance it will drop temperature rather quickly so I will be pouring at a lower temp than 180 most of the time. What temp do you think I should let the wax sit in the presto?

I usually bring mine to about 175, add color, warm back up to 170, & then add FO, and then warm back up to 165-170 depending on weight of the FO. the apple Macintosh your working with should be good to pour at about 168 give or take. At least that works for me.

Sharig and debratant,

OK so I am burning the lx 18,20,22. 22 after first hour the flame is too high and sooting pretty good, 20 after 2 hours has almost a complete melt pool and dancing a lot with carbon built up on top of wick, 18 has small melt pool after 1 and a half hours and dancing alot. Going to let them burn for a bit and see. I also heated the pourer and that did the trick. Thanks for that tip. Now I will just wait lol

I figured heating your pour pot would help with the cloudiness.  I have found that if my house is cold, my fo is cold it will cool down my wax and turn cloudy in the pour pot when I add the fo. I have even returned my pot to the double boiler after adding fo and stir a bit.  

Sharig and Debratant

I am using a tiny mason jar that is an 8oz container but really holds roughly 4 to 5 oz of wax. It is a squared container and maybe 3 inches in width. I tested Mac apple from cs and wanted to add just 6% but I didn't compensate for the fact that these masons are a bit smaller than the ones I normally use lol ooops. Consequently I added about 8 % on the mac apple which really does not need that much at all lol. Ok well I have an update on the test burns. After the first 4 hours of the apple in the mason, almost a complete melt pool with a tiny bit of hangup. It smells fantastic, jar not hot at all, (except maybe at the mouth) but the sides were just fine. The flame dances and flickers a lot but it's the first wick that has achieved a great melt pool at least. The second burn is almost exactly the same results except now the hangup is burning off from the first burn. Yaaaah! I also tested my jellies and 8% with Hansel and Gretel from cs, using an lx 18, and it danced a lot as well. The awesome part is it smells amazing, achieved a full melt pool, and the jar has absolutely no hangup. I made a couple more testers of a different scent using less dye and 6% fragrance. I will see if this helps to prevent a dancing flame. Hopefully this will work but if not well than at least the wick is working. Every wick that has been suggested has failed miserably until now. Thanks for the wick suggestion.

Sounds like it just needed some tweaking. Which ones gave you the best results, minus the flickering? Keep a record of what worked, in what container, and FO percentage and color. Then when u try a different FO, base it on that. Like pumpkin soufflé from CS heavier, then the Apple Mac, lavender is lighter..etc

Sharig,

I tested a different scent using 6% and 1 drop of a different color dye this time and I am basically getting the same results. The lx20 flame likes dancing and flickering but scent is strong and melt pool is the same. The pool seems to be almost completely full for the exception of one side which is about an eighth to a quarter inch of hangup. I am still testing the mac apple and letting it burn down to see what it will do. I am on burn 4 and at about 15 hours. I do keep a thorough record book. Like I said before, the lx wicks seem to be the only ones coming close so far. I just ordered lx 21's from Peak. I will see if maybe they will make a difference. I am not sure if they will at all because even the 22 flickers a lot. Every candle that I have ever made has dancing flames. Some burn perfectly and others just partially obtain a full melt pool regardless of the wax I use. Do you have any idea if that's normal? Perhaps it has something to do with my containers I use?

Honestly I don't use the square masons, I use the regular mason jars. It seems that something is off tho.. I've never had a dancing flame to the extent that you're describing. Maybe for a minute or two, but nothing consistent. Are u just making one container at a time? Maybe the color you're using is too much or too little? And this was usually holds FO % up to 10%. Sorry, just trying to troubleshoot for you. What kind of dye are you using? Liquid? Color chips? Blocks?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Sharig,

Please feel free to troubleshoot lol. I made 3 Mac apples and added 3 drops of candle science red dye in a pound of wax, added fragrance, stirred both separately , and poured. I think that you could be on to something here. Maybe the wicks do not like the dye. What I don't understand is how so many people make great candles with the color they want and it burns perfectly. I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't use the eye dropper thingy that comes with the dye. Maybe one of those drops is waaaaaayyyy too much? Maybe use a toothpick instead? Is there anything I should be doing with my wicks otherwise sticking them to the bottom of the containers? Aaaaahhhh any ideas would be greatly appreciated hahahahahahahaha.

Light,

Light I really do like this wax but I just need to figure this wicking ordeal out. Just when I think I have it something in the science of it all throws me a curve ball. I finally have found a wick that works for me in this wax yet it dances constantly lol. I just made a couple testers last night with very minimal dye and 6 % fragrance. I will update you ladies on my results

Light,

Awesome! I am happy to hear that you are mixing the two for melts. I am still a rookie at this myself so maybe we can journey along the same road together lol. Let me know how everything works out. I'll keep you ladies updated as well. ☺

I usually use either the color chips, for some colors, or for red, I use peaks liquid dye. I like it better than candle science. And for 1 lb of wax, I use 6 drops of red (using the eye dropper you refer to) and then about 1 oz of FO.. Depending on scent. Are you stirring completely when you add FO? Then letting it warm back up to temp? Then stir again before pouring?

Sharig,

I have never used color chips or peaks dye. I heat the wax and then add my dye and stir for a minute or two. Then I heat it back up to 185 and add my fragrance, stir and then pour. I have not heated it back up after adding fragrance to pour. I normally just pour after I stir the fragrance. Sharig I am lost lol. Please tell me how you do it hahahaha.

Try heating your wax back up after you add FO, and stir right after you add the FO, heat, and then stir again. You FO might not be mixing completely which could lead to a clogged wick; hence your dancing flame.

At one time....and not sure if it is still the case the recommended wick for 4627 was HTP and I cannot remember where I read that, but that that wicking was recommended

for viscous waxes such as 4627.  At one time, even candle science had htp wicks as the go to wick for this wax. 

They have since switched to LX wicks for some reason on their wick guide.  I believe peaks still recommend HTP wicks  

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Comfort-Blend-(single-pour)-IGI-4627-25-lbs__PW1018.aspx

I have always used HTP wicks with my 4627 because I order it from Peaks and that is what they recommend on the wax page.  For the

small 8 oz square masons, I use 104 or 105.  I have not noticed excessive flickering.

You are using such a small amount of dye, that I really don't think that is your problem.

Sharig does well with LX....but sometimes for some reason, LX might not work for you or me (I've not really tested my lx wicks yet) for any number of reasons.

Did you ever try the 104 or 105 on these masons?

Edited by debratant

Debratant,

Hello and thanks for responding back. I have tried the htp wicks and have a bunch sitting around lol. I tried the 104 and 105 but they seem to burn to one side of the containers and that side gets really hot while leaving lots of hangup on the other sides. It is sooooo frustrating! I noticed though that the lx wicks i ordered from candlescience look different from the ones I ordered from I believe peak. I haven't used the ones from Peak yet. I am not sure if maybe that could be a difference? I am thinking that it's how I am melting the wax I guess or maybe I got a bad batch? I have made melts with the 4627 mixed with 4625 and they are going well so far so I am not sure

Update,

I just made a candle yesterday with Sharig's advice in regards to the heating process of the wax. I will say right off the bat I only had to pour once as opposed to my many repours. It was a warmer temperature outside yesterday so that may play a factor in the cooling process as well. Tomorrow I will test burn the candle to see if my flame is still dancing. I really hope this works because I have tried sooooo many different things and I'm banging my head. Never thought that a dancing flame would be my biggest issue. I seem to have a grasp on everything else other wise wick sizing but ugh......