Newbie with igi4627 Help!!!

Hello everyone,

I am a new user in regards to 4627. I have heard a lot of great things about this wax. I have an abundance of Wicks now. I have cd,premiers,ecos,htp and zincs. Last night I attempted to try my hand at the wax. Messy but not too bad. I am unsure of the temps of how high to heat, pour and all of that. I made 2 testers of Candle Science Mac apple using htp 83 and 93 wicks. I heated to 185 or so and the wax was bubbly in the pot and took a bit to finally melt. After I stirred and added 6% fragrance and stirred more I added dye of 3 drops red and stirred. I immediately poured into my square 8oz mason jars. They sat for a couple hours wrapped in towels. I came back and checked and both jars had tiny bubbles on the inside of the jars and a wetspots luckily on the very bottoms. Lastly the top was caved in about an inch around the wick. I repoured and it looks great. My questions are is this normal with this wax and what is a good temp to heat to and pour? The test burn will be upcoming. Any help I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Hi Candle guy.  When you say the wax was bubbly in the pot, that doesn't sound right.  I've never seen that wax bubbly when I'm melting in my double boiler set up.  Your pour temp sounds about right...I heat to 185 or so add fo then pour.  I do not wrap my jars with anything.  If it is too cold in my house, I have had the wax pull away from the wick...and have cracking, but never caving in around the wick of an inch.  Do you have pics of your candles by chance?

Debratant,

No pics right now because I am at my full time job lol. I have tried loading pics on here b4 and it never let's me for some reason. The wax was bubbly in the pot but not extremely bubbly. I was thinking maybe it was cold. In regards to the caving, the sides were well adhered to but it looked like something was pulling it down from underneath centered on the wick. Almost like jumping on a trampoline haha. Best way to describe it. Anyhow I repoured it and it was fine. Maybe I didn't fill the wax up high enough? I will be testing them tonight and see which wick works best.So my pour temp sounded about right?

Hi Candle guy.  When I use 4627, like debratant, I did not notice bubbles either.  Nor did I have the to do a repour, (I just double checked candles I made in this fall,  they are flat on the top), that was one of the reasons I like 4627, I didn't have to do a repour and saved a step.   I heat to 185, (for me this wax melts quickly and smoothly)  add dye, then fragrance, stir 2-3 minutes, then pour right away.  I did not wrap them, just let them cool at room temp.  I haven't had bubbles, but I do have wet spots.  Perhaps you are right, the  ambient room temp. may have been a little too cool. 

Thanks guys,

I just made a couple more testers. I find that I need to heat this wax to 195 before it melts everything in the pot. Seconds after I take it off heat it drops to 185. I added dye, fragrance and stirred for 2 minutes. Bubbles were in the pot as I poured but oh well I guess lol. Any ideas on wicking a 10 oz 12 sided jar or maybe where to start? I have htp, zinc, cd, ecos and premiers. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Oh also any idea for pint masons?

Thank you very much debratant! I will definitely test those out. Sorry to bother you. Seems like there are not many 4627 users on here lol. I like the wax actually and would love to master it. I actually called aztec and was asking questions regarding temps and so on. They told me to pour at a low temperature around 150. It's all so confusing hahahahahahahaha

Guest OldGlory

When you call Aztec, the only person I will suggest that you talk to is Teri. You run the risk of getting bad technical advice from anyone else.

I use the LX wicks with this wax, & have great success for 10+ years. The hole you are experiencing by the wick is because the room temp is too cold. Try turning up ur heat a little before pouring. I would start with the LX 14 & work ur way up from there if need be. Try warming your jars before pouring, this will eliminate most of your wet spots; however you will still see some after candle cures for about 48 hours or so.

Just some tips that I thought would help.

Shari

Sharig,

Thank you very much for your input. I am heating the jars and you are absolutely right about helping with wet spots. I live in Maryland and it's cold and getting colder seeing as it's winter. I might as well just get used to repouring until spring lol. I do really like this wax though. I have a sample pack of lx wicks coming in the mail as we speak. I just bought little 6oz regular square masons and have 8oz masons plus pint regular mouth masons. I am working with 8oz jellies right now as well. Any idea of where to start with any of those with lx wicks? Thanks

Sharig,

That is good to know. I will try that for sure! I always enjoy getting tips and hints from everyone on this site. I would be completely lost without people like yourself who have been in the business for years. I do appreciate the assistance and I am always open for suggestions. We all have had to start somewhere right? In the next couple days I will be getting the lx wicks in and a presto pot I ordered. I can't wait to use both. I will keep you updated on the wicking. Thanks again Sharig

Update,

I received my presto pot and I love how it melts this wax so easily. I poured 6 testers in no time. After I poured the wax from the melter into my pouring pot it looked perfectly normal but when I added Mac apple from cs and stirred, the wax became super foggy and couldn't determine whether I was stirring enough. Not sure if it's the fragrance or something else. The pours turned out great on Mac apple but the Hanseller and gretel from cs with brown dye turned out awful. Both fragrances reacted the same way in the pouring pitcher. I don't remember either one looking that way after a double boil. Does this sound normal to anyone?

That sound like your pour pot is cold...which is cooling down the wax after you add it from your presto. How hot is the wax in your presto? I noticed when I used to use my presto the same thing would happen.  I stopped using it, mainly because I am just a hobbyist and it's just easier for me to just do the double boiler in my kitchen.  I would try keeping your pour pots warm in the oven or upping the temp of your wax in the presto....see if that helps.

• Like 1