Dancing Flames

Hey everyone I am still a rookie at this candle business but I am having issues with dancing flames.I use GB464 for my container candles.I make a lot of the 8oz square masons and 10oz 12 sided jars that I get from candle science. I have used eco and premier wicks.not crazy about ecos but premiers seem to burn better and give me even melt pools however both wicks dance. I have made testers both in my 8oz masons and the 12 sided jars using different wick sizes. I find eco 8's will not burn the edges off and the 10's are too hot and cause a deep melt pool in the 8oz masons. The premiers in the 8oz masons, 780 too hot and deep melt pool and 775 seems to work well but all of them dance like they are struggling. The 10oz 12 sided jars with different wick sizes do the same thing. Uuuugggh. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use 6% fo, heat to 185 then add fragrance and dye.

Are the candles in any type of draft?  Air from heater vent possibly or door that gets open & shut?  Sometimes it's the jar/wick/wax combo but more times than not it has to do with

ambient temperature and drafts.  That's where I'd start, just be sure your tester is in an area that isn't prone to drafts.

There is no such thing as draft free IMHO. Testing in the bathroom with the door and vent closed while viewing through a window maybe but small drafts are always present in an area. Dancing flames don't bother me one bit. I can test a candle and it rests for awhile then the flame dances a bit and especially half way through the jar from its own draft. Good melt pool and great hot throw? Hooray!

• Like 1

Chuck thank you for the reassurance. Everyone I talk to tell me a dancing flame is one of their favorite aspects of a candle. My candles have great scent throw and a good melt pool. I agree that there will always be a draft but I try to minimize them. I usually put one inside of a bathroom with the door shut and no air through the vents (well to the best of my knowledge lol). I appreciate the input. Thank you