Anyone use PKO in your salt bars?

Candybee

PKO doesn't lather as well with the salt. In that regard PKO is very much like any other oil. I've used it with CO in my salt bars but if I'm going to add another oil to my salt bars that is going to just kill lather, I would much prefer it to be something like Shea Butter. At least the shea will add something to the bar where as I didn't feel the PKO did. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip JC. I hadn't thought about that. I just assumed that PKO would add lather like it does to my other soaps.

I was mostly thinking I could split the 2 oils so I could save some of my CO. I go through CO so quick anyway, but making salt bars I use a whole lot more of it.

You can sub one for the other, they are almost the same.

Normally I do this as I find PKO makes and adds great lather to my regular soaps especially when I combine it with CO and Castor oils. But I haven't tried it in my salt bars.

Have you tried it in your salt bars and do you have a different experience with it? LIke did you find it dimishes lather or builds it in the salt bars?

Edited by Candybee

I prefer PKO rather than CO, feel it is less drying and more creamy.

I like a creamy soap, rather than one with many bubbles.

I use a sponge anyway, which almost doubles the bubbles :) .
And I prefer BrineSoap rather than SaltSoap.

• Like 1

I used to have a recipe somewhere for brine soap. I read about some time ago and its been on my list of new things to try--- if I ever have the time! LOL

I'm with you, I tend to prefer creamy suds and its why I make mostly milk soaps. But I do have a couple soap recipes I make with large fluffy lather.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

You can use any reciepe for BrineSoap.

First soap ever made in 13hundredsomething was a BrineSoap made with seawater  3% salt

Just add max 20% salt (of the water amount not PPO).

Dissolve salt in hot water, let cool, dissolve NaOH, and do as usual.

Store in very dry place.

I've made BrineSoaps with 3, 5, 10, 15 & 20% salt of water.

20% is a little too high for me, 10% is betst for my sensitive skin.

• Like 1