IGI 6006 and Sq. Masons

I've been testing these cute little jars and love them. The 51z does well with heavy fo's. The cd 8 put's out quite a bit of soot. Trim before each lighting. I hate any soot, but it is what it is. I don't like the throw of soy. How is everyone else doing with these?

I used 6006 with the 8 oz. square mason jars for a while.  I had moderate success with Premier wicks in that combo, and that is what I used for the most part at that time.  If my memory serves correctly, I used a lot of 765's.  I found out by accident that HTP 62's worked better than the Premiers, but by then, I had pretty much given up on that wax because it's too darn finicky for me.  I still pour it for personal use candles from time to time because I still have a few slabs, and I use the HTP's now.  I haven't done any extensive testing with that set up, just a few FO's, but so far the HTP's have been the best. 

Edited by bfroberts

• 2 weeks later...

Oceangazer, I actually had made a few candles about a month ago for Fall in this jar, one with an ECO 2 and one with a 44-36-18 zinc wick. I used 6006 with Candy Corn scent at about 8% (I know, I'm still learning). I had completely forgotten about them, but have been burning them the last 3 days and they are doing fabulous!  I'm really bad about that cure time, I get anxious, but if these are any indication of what waiting will do, I need to learn some patience. :) I knew you had been testing in this jar and just wanted to share!

This post made me want to fiddle around with 6006 again.  I've been pouring some testers in apothecary jars and tins.  So far, I'm liking this wax a lot better than I did when I used the square masons.  With the masons, I always had to do repours and that coupled with the mushrooming just did me in.  I'm loving it with the tins....no repour required, the throw is good.  There's still the massive mushrooming, at least it seems massive to me.  I might just have to learn to embrace it.    

• 5 years later...
On 10/25/2015 at 9:37 AM, bfroberts said:

I used 6006 with the 8 oz. square mason jars for a while.  I had moderate success with Premier wicks in that combo, and that is what I used for the most part at that time.  If my memory serves correctly, I used a lot of 765's.  I found out by accident that HTP 62's worked better than the Premiers, but by then, I had pretty much given up on that wax because it's too darn finicky for me.  I still pour it for personal use candles from time to time because I still have a few slabs, and I use the HTP's now.  I haven't done any extensive testing with that set up, just a few FO's, but so far the HTP's have been the best. 

What size htp did you use in the 8oz square mason jars 

9 hours ago, Hummingbird1 said:

What size htp did you use in the 8oz square mason jars 

I don't know. That was a long time ago, and I ended up not digging HTP after all. 6006 has changed a bit since then too. Other wicks work better IMO.

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I don't know. That was a long time ago, and I ended up not digging HTP after all. 6006 has changed a bit since then too. Other wicks work better IMO.

I tested 760 and 765 . So far the 765 seems to do pretty good. What fo % do you use in 6006 ?

37 minutes ago, Hummingbird1 said:

I tested 760 and 765 . So far the 765 seems to do pretty good. What fo % do you use in 6006 ?

6%, might round up to 7% for ease, but I never use more than that.  There's really no need to.

17 minutes ago, Hummingbird1 said:

Do you still get a good ht ?

Yes.  Adding more FO doesn't generally mean it will be stronger.  In 6006, if an oil doesn't throw at 6-7%, it's not going to be a great performer at 10% either.  Adding more just makes it soot more, weep FO, and it makes it harder to wick, IME.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Yes.  Adding more FO doesn't generally mean it will be stronger.  In 6006, if an oil doesn't throw at 6-7%, it's not going to be a great performer at 10% either.  Adding more just makes it soot more, weep FO, and it makes it harder to wick, IME.

Thanks so much for your help.