Wicking a 3" cube

Guest OldGlory

I know that two woodwick size 4's from BCN are perfect!

I would try a Premier 790 and 795. Since I don't use cd's, I have no idea what to do with them.

Added: This jar is commonly called the Libbey Medium Cube.

Edited by OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

You can expect the corners to be stubborn, but you should reach the glass on the sides a bit before mid way thru the candle.

NOW to find a lid..... ggrrrrrrrr.

• 4 months later...

Hey Trappeur and Old Glory .... Hope you're doing well. Trappeur, just wanted to check in to see how your testing went on the medium libbey? I'm also working on the large libbey 22oz but I'm certain it's going to need double wicking. Old Glory I've been testing the wood wicks from unitywoodenwicks since bcn is now out of business and unfortunately I'm just not in love with them. I think I'm going to stick with premiers if possible. Any thoughts on double wicking the large libbey? They are 4" top diamter and 3.5" bottom. Shoot, I was even thinking of triple wicking with some 750's just to see what happens.

Guest OldGlory

Howdy! Hope you are moving along nicely with your candlemaking.

I just hate that BCN quit carrying wood wicks. I bought heavily before they were all gone.

I have no idea where to start wicking the large cube. You know about the shortcut for wick testing - pour the candle without wicks, then make a hole(s) in which you can insert the wicks.

I hope you have lots of sizes available to you. Maybe start with 2 wicks in the 760-770 range. I would put them on a line that goes corner to corner rather than side to side. That's how I set my wood wick.

Let us know where you end up! Lots of people here want to know.

Thanks for the quick reply! Good idea on the testing secret! Nothing fun about having to melt down a doozy candle to repour and wait to cure again. I'll reply with my results once I start testing. 

Seperate question, I know you pair the premiers with 464 which I just started testing in my other jars. Normally I was using c3 but had some 464 laying around and figured I'd get rid of it on some wax melts and test a few candles. Well guess what, the 464 seems to be performing nicer with the premiers than the c3+ no bubbles that the c3 loves to give. I think the 464 may need smaller sized wicks though. I had a full melt pool in 1.5 hours with the 785 which normally takes the c3 3 hrs. Also, how much frag do you put in with the 464? Still 6%? Sorry for the million questions as usual but I always love yours and trappers feedback and thoughts :) 

Guest OldGlory

Usually, I load FO at 6%, and find that I get a great throw with that. I think it will hold more though.

Be sure to let the candle sit a few days before doing a wick test. It takes these veggie waxes that long to really set up. I don't know what the technical term is, but the way your wick burns is different after a few days.

I wick a standard 8 oz tin (about 3" wide) with either 785 or 790, depending on the FO. What size jar/container gave you a 1.5 hour full melt pool with 464 and a 785?

Ok thanks! I'm thinking I jumped the gun a bit befor the first light at 3 days. Also, I used 10% frag since I was making wax melts and used the leftover for my tester candle. Maybe too much frag is fueling the wick a bit too much. I'll take it down to 6% and re-test when I get more 464 in. 

The jars I'm using are also 3" wide diameter so that makes sense that you wick with 785's also. They are my new favorite. 

As far as the Libby's go, I wicked them today with some c3 since I ran out of 464. Followed traps route and using 795 and 798. We shall see. The large Libbey I'm also going to try a 798 by itself and double wick with two 765's. I'll keep you posted on the results in a couple weeks. 

Thanks again Glory. 

• 2 weeks later...

ok ... report card time!

Tested C3, 6% frag, 795 and 798, medium libbey ... no bueno. They didn't seem large enough to get full melt pool but the flame was too large.

Tested C3, 6% frag, double wicked 765, large libbey .... meh. Corners were just too resilient. Gonna bump it up to 767 and see or maybe even triple wick.

New question, since I'm closer to a 464 vendor I think I'm going to switch from C3. Thinking of going 8% frag. Thoughts? I'd like to kick up the throw a notch but not waste too much either. 6% is good and I've tested quite a bit at that percentage in the C3 but I want a bit more throw. 10% seems to over-fuel my wicks. Have you ever gone 8%? If so, what did you like/dislike about it?

Guest OldGlory

Question - how far down did you burn it before the corners came down? My candle with woodwicks will get down to about 1 1/4" from the bottom and just a tiny smidge left in the uppermost portion of the corner. I considered that a successful burn.

I can't answer about an 8% fragrance load - I don't need it. Keep in mind that it could change your wicking.