Need advice/suggestions

Hi everyone!

I'm a high school art teacher who has received a donation of 300 vanilla scented candles from a local business. A stipulation of the donation is to return the glass jars that hold the wax, which is so far quick and easy. My questions are 1. what would you suggest we do with the wax in order to raise money? Scents type bars etc? 2. Can I alter the scent?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If firestarters don't go over well, I'm sure candles probably wouldn't either (and without testing them extensively you wouldn't know if they were safe either) so I would think your only other option would be melts, however, they may not be scented well enough to have a good throw. Wax will only hold so much scent before weeping out, and if the wax is already scented, you would have no idea how much more to safely add. 

• Like 1

Wax dipped stuffed animals? Get a bunch of little bears/bunnies/etc from the $1 bin at the craft store, melt the wax at a super low temp in a presto or crock pot and dip the critters? Set them on wax paper to dry. Fluff with comb.

Then you have little cute air fresheners.

• Like 1

Its just too risky to sell anything to the public. Art project wise, you could pour the melted wax into different silicone ice tray molds that are usually at wally world, Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Use botanicals to give texture (dried plant material) or even use colored glass stones, shells or other items to make decorative pieces. A bag of shells and then fill the shells with the wax or small clay pots with a little citronella for outdoors on patios or around pools. I bought some small ceramic shell pots at Dollar Tree one year and plugged up the holes with hot glue and poured blue, rain scented wax into them for neat candles. Buy a little extra fragrance oil (Michaels or Hobby Lobby) and mix in a different complimentary fragrance, as well as a little color and be creative. You can buy silicone letters and numbers, string them together on some jute and spell out names or the school name and tie them  on hooks (either vertically or horizontally) for room fragrancers. Soy wax will be too soft. If its nice and hard paraffin wax, you should be able to work all kinds of magic. HTH 

Steve