FO duplicating, and is it ethical....

There have been some FO suppliers in the past that had spectacular, unique fragrances, and have decided to give up the business of supplying.  I've clung to some with thoughts of having them duplicated.  In some cases, I'm conflicted about doing so.  Are there legal issues with doing this?  Is it really just a matter of ethics and whether I can sleep well at night?

With that aside, what are recommendations for making this happen?  Go straight to the manufacturers, or pick a favorite distributor and let them have a go at it?  My business is very, very small.  I couldn't commit to a large volume order.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Tony

Guest OldGlory

Fragrances are duplicated all the time. Most suppliers have copy cat fragrances from Bath & B*dy Works, Vict*rias Secret, Estee Lauder, Lush, etc.

Ask here on the board - we might already know if the ones you want copied have already been done.

If you want to have a fragrance duplicated you can ask a supplier. Aztec copied a few for me, but we had an existing business relationship before I asked them. To me, it never hurts to ask. All they can say is NO!

IMO, if the supplier has discontinued a fragrance blend, or has gone out of business without providing the code to another retailer it becomes fair game.

On the other hand, duplicating an actively available retailed fragrance to hopefully get a cheaper knockoff is not so clear cut. I would not feel right about that. A WS customer of mine has tried unsuccessfully to have my personal custom blends duped... I spent a small fortune plus years creating them. I really dislike being (what i feel) is stolen from.

Dupes are not always spot on, nor do they always perform the same as the original, so it's always a risk. All that said, i have had a few long discontinued fragrances duped and am very happy i did.

Edited to add, another grey area is having a fragrance duped to remove phthalates. If the original is not available phthalate free with no plan to become made phthalate free, then the dupe is on this side of that grey line letting me sleep at night. The dupe will never match the original since phthalates do make the original and duped scent different.

Edited by TallTayl
  • Like 1

Fragrances are duplicated all the time. Most suppliers have copy cat fragrances from Bath & B*dy Works, Vict*rias Secret, Estee Lauder, Lush, etc.

Ask here on the board - we might already know if the ones you want copied have already been done.

If you want to have a fragrance duplicated you can ask a supplier. Aztec copied a few for me, but we had an existing business relationship before I asked them. To me, it never hurts to ask. All they can say is NO!

There's one fragrance in particular that I'd love to find.  I know several soapers that would give up some functioning body part for this stuff.  I really don't want to say here what the fragrance is or who the supplier was.  He's a nice guy.  :-)  I'd have to do this totally on the down low.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one fragrance in particular that I'd love to find.  I know several soapers that would give up some functioning body part for this stuff.  I really don't want to say here what the fragrance is or who the supplier was.  He's a nice guy.  :-)  I'd have to do this totally on the down low.

your making me curious too..  :huh: