SMR Soap Beveler

Anybody have one?

I'm not actually interested in it for the beveling because I'm not excited about the look of angular beveled edges. When I can charge enough, I like smooth rounded bevels. They look good, feel good to use, and give me some hand-crafting satisfaction.

However, an acrylic PLANER sounds like a great idea. I can just imagine what a smooth result that would create versus planing on wood, plus he claims to shave off less soap. And you can wash this thing instead of scraping it off with an old credit card.

It ain't cheap but I'm tempted.

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/soap-beveler.html

My friend had one, and I was thinking of getting one until I used hers. Yes, it shaves off less soap, which did not work for me. When I shave my soap, I do so to have curls, because my bars are pretty smooth, unless I cut too soon, then they can get a tad bumpy.

So, I had my hub make me a wood one that works great and the materials only cost approximately $10 (w/tax), and for the price, who can beat it? Also, about once a month I wash it with my dishes and just make sure I thoroughly dry it. 2 years later and still not warpring from submerging it in water. 

• Like 2

My friend had one, and I was thinking of getting one until I used hers. Yes, it shaves off less soap, which did not work for me. When I shave my soap, I do so to have curls, because my bars are pretty smooth, unless I cut too soon, then they can get a tad bumpy.

So, I had my hub make me a wood one that works great and the materials only cost approximately $10 (w/tax), and for the price, who can beat it? Also, about once a month I wash it with my dishes and just make sure I thoroughly dry it. 2 years later and still not warpring from submerging it in water. 

So it seemed good apart from not being what you needed?

I would never dare to submerge my wooden planer. It's my second one. Guess why.  :)

Yes, I get just as smooth of a plane with my wooden planer, and it's deep enough to make curls out of the planed soap so I don't have any waste. Why spend THAT much money on an SMR planer that a $10 device can do just as good or better? It just doesn't make economical sense to me. 

And I figure, for $10 and 2 years with no warping/rusting? Pretty good investment. And if it does start warping or rusting, I'll skip that latte one day and make a new one. 

• Like 2

Hi TOMH....I use this from Soap Equipment...works like a dream and taking those sharp edges off of the soaps does make them look so nice. Makes the soaps easier to handle when new too. You will chuckle when you see the warning at the bottom.

Click Images to Enlarge

SoapEdgerFaceView_small.jpg

HANDcraft™ Soap Edger

(Face View)

SoapEdgerSideView_small.jpg

HANDcraft™ Soap Edger

(Side View)

NoBevel2_small.jpg

BevelingSoap_small.jpg

BeveledOnEdge_small.jpg

BeveledFaceEdge_small.jpg

Images of Edger In Action

HANDcraft™ Soap Edger HANDcraft1sm.gif

The HANDcraft™ Soap Edger is the fastest Soap Edger going and it is so easy and convenient to use. No wires, no cleaning off of soap build up, no nicking your knuckles and, it is so…. Easy to use!

bullet1.gif

Even a beginner can do at least 300 bars per hour.

bullet1.gif

Just pull or push the Soap Edger along the edge, making a perfect round corner on your bars.

bullet1.gif

Doesn’t take as much soap off as a beveller, and gives a cleaner, more professional look.

bullet1.gif

Two sizes in same cutter, 3/16” and 1/4” (5mm & 6mm) radius.

bullet1.gif

No fatigue hunched over a table, no messy clean up. You can work sitting straight with a bowl in your lap to catch the shavings.

bullet1.gif

By the way, the shavings are thin enough to press into a shape, ball, etc.

bullet1.gif

One caution in beveling soap that we must pass on to you. When you start making lots of soap it can become difficult to do thousands of bars…..Don’t think you will ever get there; think again. It’s hard not to grow fast, in our unique industry. We see it all the time. One idea is to charge more and have two lines of soap, Premium and Regular. Another is to subcontract it out to Handicap Centers (Shares, etc.), stay at home parents, part timers, etc. Think before you offer it to your retailers, when they get used to something it is hard to change their mind.

Model: AC1227

Soap Edger

$27.50

add_4.gif

Edited by puma52
  • Like 2

I have SMR's soap beveler. Works beautifully in beveling your soaps. It also has 2 different "depths" in case you want just a little beveled or a deeper bevel. The edges were clean and straight. Plus, you can use it to plane or level off a whole surface or side of a soap because it has a 3rd beveling option for whole surfaces. I really like that.

It cleans like a dream. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Yeah, baby!

I took my time buying it because of the price but once I got it it was worth every penny.

The shaved pieces fall through the planer so you can collect them. I keep the shavings in a bucket and make confetti soap, or do a soap rebatch, or occasionally use them for making detergent.

I found it really easy to use and wasn't disappointed.

• Like 2

Hi TOMH....I use this from Soap Equipment...works like a dream and taking those sharp edges off of the soaps does make them look so nice. Makes the soaps easier to handle when new too.

Yes! That's exactly what I use and where I got it. Honestly, it's hard to charge enough for finishing the soap like that, but it makes an awesome product and gives a lot of handcrafting satisfaction.

It's actually a woodworking tool.

• Like 1