Final Pour on Pillar

I used to make pillars many moons ago with no problem, but lately every time I make one now I can't seem to get my final pour right.  There is always this little area at the top that just looks awful.  I am using 1343, doing a cold pour rustic.  I poured to the top of my pillar at 165.  How long do I wait to do the repour to finish off the top so that it blends perfectly?

Until there is a thickish skin along the top. Poke your relief holes, and then pour at 10 degrees hotter than the original pour and that will bind them together along with the relief holes being filled with the hotter wax will help the layers adhere. 

I do. It will help with wax adhesion if the original pour is still warm, or at least not cool enough to have pulled away from the sides of the mold. If you wait too long the candle will cool too much and pull away from the sides of the mold, and then you can have wax slop down in that gap, making the candle appearance wonky, and also it's more difficult to un-mold if that happens. 

• Like 1

I believe it was the water bath I was missing as well. I put the mold in one and it seems to be cooling more to the top of the mold and sinking in more deeper.  I know I used to do wather baths when I made pillars.  So, hopefully this will help with your suggestion.  :)

hm...maybe I remember the water bath from when I did hurricanes - which I am getting ready to do as well.  :).  Anyway, I just repoured and it worked wonderfully.  The repour seemed to level off just to the top and nothing went down the sides.  Can't wait to unmold this baby.