Which FO do you use when testing a wax

Hi, I am new at this as some of you know. I made some container candles, 4oz wide mouth jj. In my first batch I used 1 lb of wax IGI 6006Ato 1.5 oz peppermint FO. I realize now that was too much FO for that amount of wax. Since then I have added another lb of wax ( at least I believe that is how much more I have added ) and 1/4 oz of vanilla FO. My problem is when I test burn I still get a fule smell.:( I am setting the wax aside for now, and I am thinking of starting over and just trying the vanilla FO, but I would like to hear from the experts and see which FO's You wonderful people:D start with to test a new wax.

Thank you so much for your help, Connie

There is a thread some where on the board that discussed pepermint giving a fuel smell. Some added vanilla to try to cut it. Some cut back on Fo to reduce the fuel smell. You might want to run a search for the thread and check it out.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10980&highlight=peppermint+fuel

it was your thread!!!

You test every FO you put in wax.

Yes you need to test every FO in wax.

If you are trying a new wax and have a scent you like and have tested in another wax and those results were to your liking you could start with that FO first in the new wax. That way you should get close (but not always) the same results as in the other wax.

When I am testing a new wax, I usually try to avoid scents like vanilla that are harder to mix and harder to wick. I usually will start with a scent that I really like that I buy usually more for myself like Grape Cabernet from Peaks, or Sunwashed Linen from CandleSource. Then if it is a keeper wax, I will test in the rest of the scents and especially the tough ones to mix and wick.

I probably was more confusing then helpful.....:confused:

When I test a new wax, I use a scent that I know performs well in my current wax. I know that Verbena Berry (BCN) has a tremendous throw in J50, so when I use a new wax I can pour this FO and know how to compare the throw and the burn. Then I will test other FOs that I am familiar with to see if they throw well in the wax. I also test my top sellers, because if those won't throw well then there isn't any point in changing waxes.

Thank you all for your reply. I guess my question was which FO's give you problems. I realize I need to test everything but being new to this I did not realize peppermint and vanilla were prone to have problems. Does BCN hot apple pie give anyone fits? I would like to restart with a FO that is easier to deal with. I plan on working with the peppermint sented wax I have, but I am giving it a brake for now.

Thanks again, Connie