Lacking scent after 3rd burn

Hi all

I've been getting some feedback of late that our 8cm wide, single wicked CDN 6, 4630 candles @ 6% seem to lack scent throw after the 3rd burn.  I'm told they have great scent throw on the first 2 but by the 3rd it is 'questionable' and a little lacking.

I've read that fragrance can sink to the bottom of a candle but never that it sits on the top of the candle.

Just wondering if anyone else has had feedback like this before, and if so could anyone suggest some focus areas?

Some things I've thought of;

- Vybar

- Poor temp

- Cooling speed

- Stirring time

- Additives?

I do stir until I see that the fragrance is blended i.e not milky or cloudy and no odd heat swirls in the wax. Approximately 25-35 seconds.

It's not just the one fragrance either.

I've seen that at times in candles where the wick starts out strong but after a few burns the flame gets weaker and weaker thus the melt pool is not as big or hot as the original lighting and that will effect the hot scent throw. Is the flame drowning towards the third burn?

I've seen that at times in candles where the wick starts out strong but after a few burns the flame gets weaker and weaker thus the melt pool is not as big or hot as the original lighting and that will effect the hot scent throw. Is the flame drowning towards the third burn?

Hey!

I didn't think so when we were testing it, but I guess it's possible.  We do edge toward the smaller wicks (CDN 6 for 7.5cm wide jar).  I find if we go much higher then it mushrooms and soots waaaay too much otherwise.

Thanks for this.  I'll put a couple of other testers out to the same clients with a larger wick and see how they feel about those.

How long are the testers waiting in between burns? How long are they burning it each time? Are they getting full MP on the 3rd or consequential burns? 

The reason I ask is they could get what we all get from time to time - candle nose. And after a few burns - especially if they are long burns - they may not be able to smell it because they are so used to the scent. 

If it tested fine with you, it could be the way they are burning them. Do they have a test sheet to keep notes on what they are observing - in essence are they testing they way you tested the candles? And if not, what are the variables. 

There is a lot that goes into the testing of candles, especially when given out to others. I always give them a tester sheet to fill out while testing for me so I know exactly how they are burning them and what they are observing. 

If the fragrance sank to the bottom, you would see that on the bottom of the candle. That usually only happens with heavier FO's, such as vanilla. 

I wouldn't change your formula until you have all the answers.

Too much vybar and you can bind your scent and get no throw at all. 

Pour temp, well, that would burn off scent if it was too high, however, that wouldn't really affect the 3rd burn, it would affect all the burns. 

Same with cooling speed. That would affect how the candle set up, not necessarily the scent throw. 

Stirring time - ?? if it's all incorporated, that wouldn't affect the scent throw. 

Additive - do you have them now? When you did your tests? Again, if your tests were to your satisfaction before giving out these candles, than I wouldn't mess with additives. Sometimes the additives will/can enhance the burn, but more often than not, they can inhibit the very thing you are trying to enhance. 

My advice? As stated earlier get the answers to your questions, and wait until the candle is completely consumed. As you know, a candle is not fully tested and you don't have all of your answers until the candle is burned to completion. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I'm guessing that you're asking if vybar or some other additive would help with the hot throw and not currently adding anything to the 4630? If you're satisfied that you have fully incorporated the fo into the wax and the testers are reporting the same results; then something is going wrong with your system toward the end of the container. Test a larger wick and a larger fo load. I'm old school when it comes to the 2 minute rule of stirring color and or fo into wax. You shouldn't need any additives with this wax, pouring temp should be fine between 180 to 190 degrees. I continue to stir my wax until its all poured. I've only encountered a few fos that sank to the bottom and they contained a lot of musk. HTH

Steve

How long are the testers waiting in between burns? How long are they burning it each time? Are they getting full MP on the 3rd or consequential burns? 

The reason I ask is they could get what we all get from time to time - candle nose. And after a few burns - especially if they are long burns - they may not be able to smell it because they are so used to the scent. 

If it tested fine with you, it could be the way they are burning them. Do they have a test sheet to keep notes on what they are observing - in essence are they testing they way you tested the candles? And if not, what are the variables. 

There is a lot that goes into the testing of candles, especially when given out to others. I always give them a tester sheet to fill out while testing for me so I know exactly how they are burning them and what they are observing. 

If the fragrance sank to the bottom, you would see that on the bottom of the candle. That usually only happens with heavier FO's, such as vanilla. 

I wouldn't change your formula until you have all the answers.

Too much vybar and you can bind your scent and get no throw at all. 

Pour temp, well, that would burn off scent if it was too high, however, that wouldn't really affect the 3rd burn, it would affect all the burns. 

Same with cooling speed. That would affect how the candle set up, not necessarily the scent throw. 

Stirring time - ?? if it's all incorporated, that wouldn't affect the scent throw. 

Additive - do you have them now? When you did your tests? Again, if your tests were to your satisfaction before giving out these candles, than I wouldn't mess with additives. Sometimes the additives will/can enhance the burn, but more often than not, they can inhibit the very thing you are trying to enhance. 

My advice? As stated earlier get the answers to your questions, and wait until the candle is completely consumed. As you know, a candle is not fully tested and you don't have all of your answers until the candle is burned to completion. 

Good luck! 

Thanks Jcandleattic - Some good advise as usual!  I'll have to re-think the questions I've put on the survey to include a little more detail.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that they are all under wicked, as a few people who trimmed their wick did complain about heaps of hangup; where as we designed them for no trimming.

I'm guessing that you're asking if vybar or some other additive would help with the hot throw and not currently adding anything to the 4630? If you're satisfied that you have fully incorporated the fo into the wax and the testers are reporting the same results; then something is going wrong with your system toward the end of the container. Test a larger wick and a larger fo load. I'm old school when it comes to the 2 minute rule of stirring color and or fo into wax. You shouldn't need any additives with this wax, pouring temp should be fine between 180 to 190 degrees. I continue to stir my wax until its all poured. I've only encountered a few fos that sank to the bottom and they contained a lot of musk. HTH

Steve

That's great thanks Steve.  I do think the wax is fully incorporated with the FO.  I will definitely try wicking up some more.  Can I ask you what wick you use with this wax?  And what size would you recommend starting at for a 8cm diameter container?

Thanks everyone, as always such a great help!