3 tricky fragrances

Hi all!  Happy new year.  Hope everyone had a great break and new year.

I've spent my holiday period fighting with 3 fragrances I received.  Leather & Sandlewood, Vanilla and French Pear.

All of these seem to struggle to burn all the way down.  I've dosed them at as little as 5% and they still struggle.  It looks like there is something clogging the wick at the base, and when I swirl the candle around it seems to clear the wick; then seconds later it's back to being clogged.

I'm told by the supplier that these fragrances are all used elsewhere and have proven to work fine, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

I am using a 11cm High x 9cm Wide jars;  I'm using 4630/4627 blend and CDN wicks.  I use 2 x CDN4.  Does this sound like a reasonable wick suggestion for that size jar?  I have tried going up in size to 2 x CDN 7's in some cases and it doesn't seem to make any difference with the exception of a quicker melt pool.  It still stops burning around 3rd or 4th five hour burn.  

We have been single wicking these in a 3" jar, and whilst they are harder to burn than all our other fragrances, we still get them to burn all the way down (with a bit of soot).

I think you may have inadvertantly answered your own question. Those FOs that may ordinarily work better wicking up may also be affected by either a single or double wicking. The problem with double wicking is that the oxygen in the jar is being consumed faster using a double wick system and that just becomes worse the farther down the jar the candle burns.

My guess is that may be too much for these 3 particular scents as even with your wicking up experiment they are still not burning properly.

You could try wicking down or even going to 3-4% FO load or even try another wick series. Lastly, try looking for a similar FO from another supplier. Could be some ingredient in a particular oil that is playing havoc with your wick system.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I tried to double wick my apothecary jars at one point and never quite got the wicking right. I ran into the same problem you are experiencing. So I went back to single wicking my jars.

Edited by Candybee

Double wicking is just another version of single wicking. The two wicks behave as one wick. I can' imagine why you would need to double wick an average sized container, unless other wick sizes are unavailable. I would slap a cdn 16 as a starter and go from there. I use a multiple wick application on really large containers, like the glass hearts for valentines. I need to produce uniform heat on a large area and typically use three wicks in that application. At least two of those fragrances are high vanillin and require hotter temps to be effective. Three fragrances not working speaks more about your wicking system than anything else(IMHO)so you might want to return to a single wicking system.

Steve

Hi Candybee and Steve.

I appreciate you getting back to me. Oddly we have been at this for a year and would've thought by now we would had this nailed, but it seems there is always something around the corner to challenge you!

So what I'm hearing is a single wick system is a little easier to wick with, and a double wick is quite likely the cause of the dulled down or extinguished flame due to lack of oxygen?

Curious, does anyone have a photo of what I should expect my flame to look like half way down?

Also, can anyone recommend a size of the premier series for a 9cm wide jar? I can't find a good chart anywhere.

Thanks again all!