Optimum Pouring Temps for 4630

I will be testing 4630 over the weekend. Would like to hear some feedback on optimal pour temps and whether you heat your jars or not. I have contacted several suppliers and have heard a wide variety of answers and ranges. Thanks!

you will most likely get the same wide variety of answers here. I don't use that wax, but I stopped warming my jars long ago. I mean I don't pour in cold jars, but just room temp. I found that whatever warming the jars try to hide or camouflage, when they cooled off with the wax in them, the flaw (usually wet spots) would just reappear. 

For my container wax, which is a soft wax like the 4630, I heat to 195ish, add my scent at 180ish and pour shortly after. 

I say ish because I also stopped taking temps shortly after starting to use a presto pot roughly 15 years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't J-50 more than the IGI waxes? What's the benefit to using these waxes?

J-50 is an Astrolite/Honeywell wax that was bought out by IGI several years ago. 

The benefit for me, is it is a true one pour container wax, adhesion is good, almost every scent I have tried has thrown well, and it's very easy to work with and there are no additional additives needed (unless you would like to use them (which I do), but they are not necessary as they already have additives).

The con to this wax is they do tend to mushroom the wick and can cause soot issues. I have my wicking down pat and have very little to no visible soot and very little mushrooming to my wicks.

I'm not sure anymore who even carries it. I still have 3 cases left of the last pallet I bought several years ago, so when I get down to my last case I will need to start researching the wax again. 

Here is an old pic of some candles before I put the labels on so you can see what it looks like with color. Each of these candles has 2 drops or less of liquid colorant to a lb of wax - I'd say it's pretty creamy, but not as creamy as a parasoy can be. 

post-200-0-16848600-1420641760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jcandleattic