2 layers in jar candles; suggestions for scent combos?

GailC

I want to try making layered candles...just two layers for now.

I was thinking something colored and spicy on the bottom and sugar cookie or vanilla on the top, not dyed.

Or should the fragrances be more similar, like pumpkin and cinnamon stick?  I've been looking for examples online, just wondered what some of you creative people have come up with.

• Like 1

Yay! This thread was meant for me! I do this all the time :):)

Obviously the biggest trick is finding scents that use the same size wick and will smell good while mingling between layers.

I mostly do 3 layers in 12oz canning jars. My best seller by a landslide is pumpkin pie/apple cinnamon/cran-orange spice. A orange and red pumpkin/apple cinnamon would certainly attract attention and sell well for you this time of year!

People love the look of them and the "gimmick" of the different layers of scent. And for some reason I always put the lighter color on top. I just like the look of it (like my profile pic!)

Some other ideas for this season that I've been playing around with:

-Vanilla/cinnamon (I call this candle "the classics" people get a dorky kick out of it. And I actually make it in tilted layers so that there is more burn time that is a mix of vanilla and cinnamon)

-Vanilla/pumpkin (or a cinnamon vanilla blend/pumpkin)

-Vanilla/blueberry cobbler (or any bakery scent, really)

-Apple/cran-orange (or a spiced version with apple cinnamon/cran-orange spice)

-apple and pine (I recently discovered how well a good pine mixes with other scents)

-cranberry/pear

-pumpkin/coffee

The possibilities are endless. And when doing just 2 layers, it's fun to make tilted layers. It really catches the eye of the customer!

Keep us posted! I love hearing people's creative candle ideas!

• Like 2

Ooh, I love the sound of your best seller, pumpkin, apple, cran orange.  And now I understand why you make tilted Layers. so the two scents will mingle more.  Thanks!

I didn't think about red and orange...apple and pumpkin...but duh, that's a great combo.

One I would definitely like to try is the orange/cranberry and apple pie.

Pumpkin/coffee...hmmm, that's interesting.

Apple and pine?  That's one to think about.  I have sugared spruce right now...no pine.

Thanks for all your suggestions, Amanda.  I  love them.  :)

That's genius! May I use that idea, Gail?

Sure, I'm going to use yours.  :)  I have some fragrance oil from Aztec called 'Sweet Potato and Brown Sugar'.  So I'll just call it Sweet Potato Casserole or Pie, or just Sweet Potato to go with the Toasted Marshmallow.  I'm getting ready to order that from ICS,  She's out right now, but told me it should be back in stock by Thursday.  

Could also do Hot Chocolate and Toasted Marshmallow.  But first I want to try to whip some wax for a topping for hot chocolate, so I'd have to use vanilla fo I guess for that.  I'm going to do that in clear mugs.

• Like 1

I had been meaning to try that Aztec sweet potato based on your recommendation in another thread, and I always try to do a little something fun for each holiday. So that will be a neat Thanksgiving candle. :)

If you want to get REALLY fancy, you could make little wax marshmallows somehow and set them on top of your hot cocoa candle.

• Like 1