What do you use to whip your wax? Fork, whisk, electric mixer?

I've seen some cute candles with whipped wax on top, so I was thinking about trying a Hot Chocolate and Whipped Cream candle.  I've done some research online, and people use different methods to whip their wax.  Just wondering what works best for you.  

Do you dab the whipped wax on top with a spoon, or do you put the wax in a plastic bag and pipe it on?

I've seen several candles with the whipped wax piled so high, it looks like when it was burned, the wax would overflow over the container.  I want to be able to use my candles.  Do you fill your containers just almost to the top with the whipped wax or does it 'settle down' as it's burned?

Thanks for any help or tips you can offer.  

I took a candle class several years ago on whipped wax. They used a mixer so thats what I use. I wait until the wax gets a little slushy then start whipping it. Use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Once you have the wax whipped you can whisk in your color. You only need 1-3 drops of color, each placed around the inside the bowl so you distribute the color evenly. Don't overwhisk, you don't want to blend in the color if you want a marbled look.

You can use a spoon or a pastry bag depending on the look you want to achieve. But a pastry bag with piped 'frosting' looks so cool!

Edited by Candybee

Thanks Candybee!  I was thinking a mixer would probably do the best job, just didn't  like to think about cleaning the beaters after.  :)

I'm sure piping would achieve the best look, but I'm so slow doing anything.  I bet you have to work fast to get the wax into the bag, and piped onto the candles before the wax sets up too much.

Thanks Candybee!  I was thinking a mixer would probably do the best job, just didn't  like to think about cleaning the beaters after.   :)

I'm sure piping would achieve the best look, but I'm so slow doing anything.  I bet you have to work fast to get the wax into the bag, and piped onto the candles before the wax sets up too much.

Use a heat gun to clean the beaters. Takes a matter of seconds and easy peasy done! :) 

• Like 1

Use a heat gun to clean the beaters. Takes a matter of seconds and easy peasy done! :)

Oh man, you're a genius!!!  Now I really want to try it.  But I think I'd better buy a mixer just for candles.  

And a stainless steel bowl....I was going to Walmart today anyway.  :)

Edited by GailC

I got a mixer and a stainless steel bowl.  I'm anxious to try making candles with 'whipped cream' topping now, but a cousin just asked me if I had any lilac or lavender candles.  Well no, not this time of year.  :) So I may be making those now too.