recycle candle jar containers

Hello...I'm really new at this and hope you can help! I have been recycling wax from old candles and making new ones. My problem is, that I'm trying to use a 20 oz. jar but I am unable to remove the original wick tab. It is really glued to the bottom of the jar. I boiled it to remove the old wax, but that didn't do the trick for removing the old wick tab! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:(

I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the tab from my tester jars that I re-use for testing.

I do this too and it usually works, although I have had a few that simply refuse to come off. Goo Gone is an awesome product to try as well. It takes off almost anything.

I've always wondered just how cost effective it is to try re-using jars, anyway.

Seems like by the time you've cleaned and boiled them worked out how to get the old wick out...etc. You've spent more time on them than they're worth. On top of that, there seem to be serious safety issues, from all reports.

Seems like a lot of work for a container that can be had for around $1 or less.

I realize what you're saying....problem is, there are only 2 stores that carry any candle making supplies that I'm aware of (where I live)! Not to mention, most of the jars I've seen are very thin and not appropriate for using my "candle shade". After working all week, I find this to be relaxing and fun. Actually, until I started reading these posts, I didn't realize that re-using jars could potentially be dangerous!! :undecided

I realize what you're saying....problem is, there are only 2 stores that carry any candle making supplies that I'm aware of (where I live)! Not to mention, most of the jars I've seen are very thin and not appropriate for using my "candle shade". After working all week, I find this to be relaxing and fun. Actually, until I started reading these posts, I didn't realize that re-using jars could potentially be dangerous!! :undecided

I wouldn't have realized that re-using the jars would be dangerous, either, except for seeing it on this board so often. :)

I'm betting, though, that you can find some jars at a good price online. Check the classifieds here and keep an eye out for Co-Ops. Some of the container folk can probably point you toward some suppliers. Sometimes you can order things and get them cheap enough to outweigh the shipping costs.

I reuse my jars all the time...

For jars that arent mine and I want the wick out, I squirt a little dish soap in them, pour a little boiling water in it - let sit overnight.. Take a long handled teaspoon and use it as a pry to pop that baby out.. then rinse really good and toss in the dishwasher.. Then wick it and reuse..

Heather