Candles Losing Fragrance Throw - Help!

I have had a customer complain that two of the candle jars (Metro Jars 330mls) lose their fragrance throw once the candles have burnt roughly half way down the jar.  She advised initially - when first lit - for the first two hours - they candles were ok.  However after lighting them the second time, she has complained that she can no longer smell them.   She has placed them in several different sized rooms.  Still nothing.

I use either Natures Wax or GW464 and CDN wicks.  I don't use any dyes in my candles.

Please help!  

Any suggestions.  I've not had other customers complain, but i'm concerned she might be the first one to actually say something.

I have a selection of friends who are testers for me.  None of them have mentioned anything of such.  I am going to touch base with them again to make sure. But thought I would post this question in case anyone has ideas or suggestions as to what may be going wrong.

Guest OldGlory

Yeah, it just takes one person to make life difficult, right?

Can you ask her to return the candles to you so you can see what the problem is and give her a refund? Pay for return postage, do whatever you have to do to get them back in your hands and calm her down.

Once you have them back you can see if it's HER or if it's the candle. Give them to your testers.

There's a chance this woman 1) is scamming you; 2) has sinus problems; 3) is a smoker or lives with smokers; 4) has circulation in her house that is drowning out the fragrance throw of the candle. There might be other options too. Don't assume that your candle is to blame until you can test it for yourself.

I had a customer once that returned to me weekly for more fragrance oil for my crystal potpourri. I asked her why she kept coming back for more fragrance oil when what she already bought should have lasted her a year! She said she just couldn't smell it any more. It had nothing to do with the crystals or the fragrance oil she kept adding. She was elderly and home all the time. She simply couldn't smell the product any more - even tho people who came to her house could smell it. That was the key... Others could smell it.

Good luck!

Yeah, it just takes one person to make life difficult, right?

Can you ask her to return the candles to you so you can see what the problem is and give her a refund? Pay for return postage, do whatever you have to do to get them back in your hands and calm her down.

Once you have them back you can see if it's HER or if it's the candle. Give them to your testers.

There's a chance this woman 1) is scamming you; 2) has sinus problems; 3) is a smoker or lives with smokers; 4) has circulation in her house that is drowning out the fragrance throw of the candle. There might be other options too. Don't assume that your candle is to blame until you can test it for yourself.

I had a customer once that returned to me weekly for more fragrance oil for my crystal potpourri. I asked her why she kept coming back for more fragrance oil when what she already bought should have lasted her a year! She said she just couldn't smell it any more. It had nothing to do with the crystals or the fragrance oil she kept adding. She was elderly and home all the time. She simply couldn't smell the product any more - even tho people who came to her house could smell it. That was the key... Others could smell it.

Good luck!

I echo this. You need the candle back in your hands but do not refund her money until you have candles in your hands. I had as lady once that bought 6 candles of the same scent I shipped to where ever she was. She emailed said the candles did not smell I told her to return them and when I received then I would refund her money. I never saw the candles or heard from her again.

I would also consider changing your testing model. Friends and family want you to be successful and sometimes that can manifest in sparing your feelings. That is kind but can ruin testing. Get testers who are customers, or if you were in the U.S. I would suggest asking people from this group. My testers are youtube reviewers, other candle makers, customers and heavy users in my category. They get very specific testing instructions and a spreadsheet to document results/data.

Thanks for the advice guys.    If it is a candle issue, any suggestions as to what it could possibly be?  I know there are many variables, but your suggestions might help.  

I would also consider changing your testing model. Friends and family want you to be successful and sometimes that can manifest in sparing your feelings. That is kind but can ruin testing. Get testers who are customers, or if you were in the U.S. I would suggest asking people from this group. My testers are youtube reviewers, other candle makers, customers and heavy users in my category. They get very specific testing instructions and a spreadsheet to document results/data.

Hi Karen

What deal do you have with your customers who test your candles for you?  Do they pay slightly cheaper price or do they get to test for free?  

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Evy

Thanks for the advice guys.    If it is a candle issue, any suggestions as to what it could possibly be?  I know there are many variables, but your suggestions might help.  

It could be your wick's..I used to use C3 with CD wick's and not good hot throw then I switched to HTP's and the throw was awesome! I know other's have no problem's at all with the CD wick's but for some weird reason I did. :/ Good Luck with everything!

Guest OldGlory

Evy, the only thing I can think of (considering that you have already tested the wax/wick/FO combination) is that if she is power burning the candle and has a melt pool that is an inch deep, maybe most of the fragrance has burned off.

However, I am more inclined to think it is her. Maybe she doesn't understand how a sinus issue could be making her sense of smell dull.

Hi Karen

What deal do you have with your customers who test your candles for you?  Do they pay slightly cheaper price or do they get to test for free?  

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Evy

Testers are doing a service for me so they do not pay for product I have them test. I only do melts so that is what I have them test. When testing wax blends, they got different blends, same FO and labeled A, B and C. I rarely have people testing FO's but when I do I label similarly. I have made certain that I have testers who understand how detailed and organized that I am and what I expect. It may be harsh but I tell them if they know themselves and know that they are not good at follow through, timeliness and detail that they are probably not a match for me and my testing methods. There is nothing worse when testing to never hear from the person again or to hear, "They were all great. Thanks so much!". Not a bit helpful. My testers are familiar with things like CT, HT, longevity and typically ask which style warmer I wish them to use. NOT casual users. Their reporting back is thorough.