Displaying votive at craft shows

amanda

Hello!

This is my first post. I've learned a lot lurking around this forum for the past year, thank you all for sharing your experience and expertise! :)

I have a question that I couldn't seem to find an answer to using the search function.

How are you displaying your votives at craft shows/events?

This was my original method: http://i.imgur.com/7rLN0xc.jpg

But now I have more scents (I have 10 scents that I use for votives) and I spend so much time on the layers/ombré effects, I'd like to individually shrink wrap them and nicely display them. With the basket, I feel people may miss some options while digging through and don't really get to see the layers/color effects.

I'm having trouble coming up with a way to nicely display my votive on my table. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

TIA

Edited by amanda

Personally- and this is just MY opinion here- as beautiful as your presentation truly is, it is distracting. The cello packaging is very nicely done and I think it can be put to better use AFTER the sale. For a presentation for those beautiful votives, I like your shrink wrap idea better. Here's why: 1) Customers are MUCH more likely to buy what they can easily pick up, hold, smell, etc. 2) The shrink wrap will help the votive retain fragrance, and fragrance is what sells 80% of all candles.

I'd keep the gift wrapping off to the side and remind the customer gift packaging is available for a dollar more? Lately I've been giving a lot of thought to a cake box package solution, with a cello window up top looking down into a votive variety pack. Think Whitman's Samplers, only a see thru top.

We have a very similar product line, I hope you're not too close nearby lol

The basket thing is okay. It looks great but you are right people digging through a basket is not the best way to display.  You do not need any thing fancy. I got a few of glass blocks from Home Depot. I would stack 4 and place my votives on and around the blocks. That gives some height while showing off the votives.

@Turtle Wax- I am in Pittsburgh. If you are in Pittsburgh, let's just join forces! Haha.

You're definitely right that it's distracting. Especially now that I have more than 4 options. I originally wanted to sell them in the twin packs because the price I set was 1.50 and I didn't want to deal with a bunch of quarters! lol. But they sell really well and are rather labor intensive so I feel it will be okay to price them at $2 a piece and sell them individually or 3 for $5. In your experience, does that sound reasonable?

@vicky- do you have all of the votives for sale stacked on and around the blocks, or just some to display and keep your stash of votive under your table? I love the idea of displaying them with some height/levels, but I definitely have way too many to set them all out. Maybe 3 of each or something?

Do you both label your individual votives? I use hanging tags, so I'm trying to think of a way to label each individual votive's scent. All I can think of is a round kraft sticker on the bottom with the scent hand written. Is that too unprofessional?

Edited by amanda
  • Like 1

@vicky- do you have all of the votives for sale stacked on and around the blocks, or just some to display and keep your stash of votive under your table? I love the idea of displaying them with some height/levels, but I definitely have way too many to set them all out. Maybe 3 of each or something?

Do you both label your individual votives? I use hanging tags, so I'm trying to think of a way to label each individual votive's scent. All I can think of is a round kraft sticker on the bottom with the scent hand written. Is that too unprofessional?           

No I do not put every thing out just what could fit and still look nice it not that hard to quickly restock what is sold. Also if you sell out of few scents it easy to adjust you display so it still looks nice and full.

I labeled each votive yep labor intensive. I sold my votive for $2 a piece but always offered a deal like 6 for ten or my favorite offer buy 5 get the sixth free. It is the same as the 6 for 10 but customers like the getting one free deal. It is again perception. 

Vickey, I like the way you think!  People do respond to "free".  I wrapped mine individually.  I had a warning label on the bottom and used a file folder size label for the scent, weight and my logo on the side.  I just hated the way they got so dinged up going from tub to show to tub that I quit making them.  I had a rattan charger that I displayed a few on, like Vickey said, and restocked often.

@Vicky- I'm so excited about that idea! I never would have thought of it on my own, so thank you!! Instead of glass, I will use wood blocks because I use kraft for all my packaging/labeling and my signs are screen printed on wood so I feel wood blocks would match the feel of my table nicely. I'm going to go root through my dad's workshop tonight for wood to make into different size blocks :)

I knew this forum would come through for me! :D

@Turtle Wax- I am in Pittsburgh. If you are in Pittsburgh, let's just join forces! Haha.

You're definitely right that it's distracting. Especially now that I have more than 4 options. I originally wanted to sell them in the twin packs because the price I set was 1.50 and I didn't want to deal with a bunch of quarters! lol. But they sell really well and are rather labor intensive so I feel it will be okay to price them at $2 a piece and sell them individually or 3 for $5. In your experience, does that sound reasonable?

It's hard to say, really, not knowing your market with respect to a pricing scheme. I know you can go into any nationwide chain and find boring robot made, poorly scented votives for the prices you are selling yours. You have unique handcrafted pieces of art, and people will pay extra for it. A $3.99 price point seems very reasonable to me, with a "buy 3 get 1 free" offer. Again just my opinion.

What I plan to label mine with is a circle shaped folded tag. 4 faces altogether. 1) Company logo, contact info etc, 2) The Dessert Parlour Collection, Collect all 8! (I'll list my 8 fragrances with a tiny box next to each, and X the fragrance you are looking at), 3) "Here at Kerzenladen, each of our candles are hand made and always will be. Our tiny artisan shop is located...", 4) Warning labeling.

I'm also planning a small bakery box to house all 8, and sell it for around $24.99ish.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input. I rummaged through my dad's scrap wood in his workshop and made some cool blocks and little shelves to display my votives. Now to buy some shrink bags and individually wrap them all (blech!).

@turtle wax- your votives sound really fun and creative. I love the idea of dessert votive in a bakery box. So cute! I agree that people can get cheap, boring, mediocre votive for $2 at Target, so I need to start working on my confidence! My mom and husband are always telling me that I'm pricing my products too low. :/