How soon can I test my wick

If I'm burning my candles for wick testing purposes ONLY then does it matter how soon I burn one? It's a parasoy blend. Mostly paraffin. I'm dying to move on with the process and don't want to wait 2-3 days. Thoughts??

This wicking ordeal is really a PITA. Just saying! It's making me crazy. I'm about to stick with being a nurse and give up on all of my candle/wax ideas. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... Had to vent - figured my thread was the best place for it!

I know just how you feel!!!! I am close to it my self.

It definitely has it's ups and downs that's for sure! I just made some new ones tonight to try additional wicks. Hoping I nail it this time. I think I'm also being to OCD about it all to be honest. I went today and bought some cheap candles from wally world just to see how well they are wicked. Some of them have out of control flames! Made mine see all the better! I think the candle making is definitely the hardest so far. We changed jars and waxes - and seems like it's taking F O R E V E R to get them the way I want! When really it's only been about a month - but still.... it's making me angry :angry:

Today I actually started creating some desert candles and have surprised myself at how well they have turned out for my first attempt - not too bad. It cheered me up some. My plan was not to attempt these at all until I was finished with my candles. Glad I tried it. Has me excited :D

- Find something different to try when you're really frustrated with one thing. Worked for me.... today anyway, now tomorrow when I'm test burning these wicks (all 6 of them) I will probably be singing a different tune, or drinking something other than coffee ;)   ...... But at the same time it's like I refuse to let this conquer me!

Good luck with this wax madness!

Generally, there isn't a need for cure time with paraffin. I don't know how you are testing but here's my technique. Pour the candle without a wick and  after it has set (next day) I take a metal meat thermometer and make a hole for my wick. I pull the wick out with pliers if it doesn't work and resurface with a heat gun. Once cooled, I make my hole and try another wick. If you plan to use more than 5% load (the average is 6-7%) you should pour your candles with that amount for testing. HTH

Steve

I know EXACTLY how you feel JABE! I've been testing off and on for a couple years now (I work full-time so it's when I get a chance), and it has driven me crazy! I have made a few for co-workers but keep telling them I'm not done testing and can't sell until then. I was complaining about my candles getting soot on them so one of my co-workers told me all the candles she buys does that. I said, "Well, MINE will not." LOL.  I do think we can be very critical of ourselves but that's what makes us good candle makers. :)  I've got a couple testers burning now and they always seem to start off beautifully. It's when they get further down into the jar that I run into problems. I'm using the 12oz Status jars right now and finally had a couple scents do well but I always think they can be better.

I have made a few for co-workers but keep telling them I'm not done testing and can't sell until then.

Yep, same here. They look at me like 'Why is it taking so long'. I would have never thought it would take this long either. I just tell them, "Well there is A LOT more to it than sticking a wick in a jar and filling it with wax"

I see your name says "RN" behind it. So, I assume you're a nurse too ;) I'm just tired of 12hr shifts. Love my patients. I get attached to them easily! I just would LOVE to made the candle business work out for many reasons. It's a frustrating joy! Best way to put it Ha ha.

One day I think I'm almost there, and the next I'm not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. Funny how drastic my opinion changes from day to day though. I'm getting ready to test burn 6 jars tonight and then - hopefully then,,,, crossing fingers & toes... then I'll be almost ready! I look at them now sitting on the counter,,, afraid to light them and see failure Lol.....

Edited by JABE

Yep, I am a nurse too! Working 12 hours can be long but love my stretch of days off, when i can arrange it that way, to dig out my candle making stuff. I too love taking care of my patients but I definitely would love to make that a part time job and free up more time for pouring. I know a candle business would never replace my salary but I really enjoy doing it and sharing it with others........... at a price of course  :)

• 8 years later...