Actively approaching businesses

ubure

Back in the olden days before I was doing shows every weekend, I would approach stores with scent list, wholesale price list, and samples. I would go in empty handed and ask to see the buyer. If the buyer had time to talk with me, I would work up a bit of interest and go to my car to get my lists and samples to leave. If the buyer did not have time, I would ask for an appointment.

I would let the buyer know I would be following up to get opinions and recommendations. Asking for recommendations makes the buyer feel in charge of the sale and makes you seem less pushy. I would then follow up weekly or so until I got either a firm yes or firm no.

Always leave a couple of samples. Dress professionally and act respectful. Let them know you really want their business and are willing to work with them. Adjust prices if necessary. Don't go in with your lowest price. Give yourself some leeway. Be willing to do private label and be sure they know you won't do wholesale within a certain radius, say 5 miles, or whatever seems appropriate. Make them feel special.

Guest OldGlory

I'm probably old school. I target specific businesses, put their logo on a few candles, TAKE THEM to their business, and my presentation is something like this:

Wouldn't you love to custom design candles for YOUR business? I get a lot of no's, but I know that if I get a bite on 1 out of 10 I'm doing great! Mostly, they take the candle in their hands and grin. It's like hearing your own name. Just appealing to their vanity.

I did this for the first time last Friday. I went to two antique/gift shops in my small town. I took a basket full of products (soaps and candle melts) and a wholesale price list. Had a nice visit with the 1st shop owner who seemed very interested. I left a bar of soap, a lip balm and a wholesale list - felt really good about my prospects. I then went to the second shop and again had a nice visit. I was getting ready to leave samples and phone numbers when, to my surprise, she started ordering: " I'll take 12 of those, 7 of those...." I about fell over. I didn't even have a pen or an piece of paper. Embarrassing but awesome!!!

I must admit I'm a little nervous. Oh, the commitment, the expectations, the headaches!!! Hopefully it will all go as smoothly as my first shop sell - we shall see.

(Ubure - not meaning to hijack your thread - hope it helps a little)

...do you do that? I mean, do you drive around, presenting your products, or do you wait to be approached by the businesses?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I started by making a few cold calls similar to what others mentioned. An upscale gift shop owner recommened a bigger profit made from invite only exclusive events. She got me referred into them as a result...was a huge thing for me at the time. I still get invites and don't even do them any longer. Point is, unexpected positive things for your biz can result too from cold calls with a few places you'd like to see your product.

Thank you all, that is very valuable advicel

I'll find a concept, get some brochures and price list ready and some samples, also have to think of how I want to approach them.

ktaggard, you didn#t hijack my thread at all - I wish you all the best and a lot of success!!